main fuse blows instanly without key in

Is it ok to try my home made rectifier by wiring it up but not mounting it will it still work ?

if i do get the rec/reg from mikes does this eliminate my regulator and it doesn't look like it just bolts up the same

The stuff from Mike's can work but I might reccomend doing the Chrysler regulator mod to go with your Radio Shack rectifier.
About $17 at Advanced Auto. With a one year warranty. Mike,s don't have a warranty.
Tell them you want one for a 77 Dodge Dart. 225 six cylinder, standard tranny.
It will wire up easier than the rectifier.
Here's some pics. One is how to wire the regulator, the other is one on my 75.
Leo

Attachments

• VR295.jpg
    VR295.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 71
  • LostFile_JPG_65101064.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65101064.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 77
One thing bu sure the green and brown wires are hooked up as shown, If backwards it will fry the reg as soon as you turn the key on.
No need to discuss just how I know that.
Before I did much running I would change the oil. Watch for junk inthe oil. Bits of black plastic, bits of aluminum.
On the way it runs I would drain out the gas, flush out the tank.
I might try putting in a gallon of gas with about half a bottle of carb cleaner mixed in. If the carbs aren't too bad this may clean them out some.
With the fresh gas in the tank open the petcocks and let the carbs fill up. Close the pet cocks. Let this gas/ carb cleaner soak over night.
On the bottom of the carbs are drain plugs. Remove the plugs to drain out the gas/carb cleaner mix, How nasty does this gas look? Like good gas or brown. If very brown, repeat the gas fill and soak.
If it don't look to bad then try starting the bike and let it run a few minutes. This will get the gas/cleaner up through the passages if they aren't plugged solid. Let it soak over night.
Try running it more, does it run better? If so then run all that gas mix through the bike. Riding it, not just letting it idle. Run it up and down through the rpm range. This gets the gas /cleaner all through the carbs.
While you are doing this read the carb guide. This gives most of what you need to disassemble, claen and reassemble your carbs. It has a section on how to tune them too.
Leo

If your stock regulator is working ok then run with it. The mechanical regulator is slower and has a tendency to over charge if run long at highway speeds. The Chrysler won't.
If you do replace it, then I would reccomend the Chrysler regulator.
Mike's reg/rec is about $100 last I looked with no warranty. The Chrysler reg is $17 and has a one year free replacement warranty.
The Radio shack parts are cheap enough they don't really need a warranty.
Your bike, your choise.
Leo

newby79;

The original relay type mechanical regulators worked reasonably well in their day. They have lasted so long because they were made by Hitachi in Japan i.e. high quality. Solid state regulator technology has made the old style obsolete. The solid state ones are more precise, require no adjustment, and produce less heat.

took the newby way out and bought a solid state reg/rec but get this!! bought brand new battery from advanced auto here in maine. Bike would not start wit elect. start so kicked it over and it ran it would turn with electric but not run and when it ran it was miss firing like bastard anyway long story short when i began to trace wiring from battery back. my brand new battery gave a neg. reading???? decided something was f'd wit battery and brought back to store so they took another of shelf and dammit the one i had gotten and ran on my bike was stamped backwards for neg. pos. terminals. I hope as does advance auto that i didn't fry stuff on my bike. but i cant believe elec. start even worked or that the bike even ran at all!!! got correct batt. and getting back to bike tomorrow

carbs have now been completely apart and cleaned stil sounds like right side is off no signals or headlight even now i did have a headlight for awhile but now for some reason that has quit and a ver y annoying hanging idle has occured may be taking it in to someone to get there ideas

Back