Master Cylinder Adjustment Screw Question

Gunnar

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just rebuilt my master cylinder using Mike's kit and noticed that the adjustment screw is not the original one that should have been there. It's just a regular non-rounded steel bolt, which explains the dent at the top of the old cylinder.

Now, I don't have a spare adjustment screw so I am thinking about rounding off the end of the screw and keeping it on. Is it a good idea?

I am concerned that it might damage my brand new master cylinder because bolt might be too hard for the cylinder. What do you guys think?

You are talking about the bolt's tail end that presses against the master cylinder's plunger?
If the MikesXS replacement's bolt tail ain't slightly domed, like they say on StarTrek, "Make it so."

I've found that rounded-end screws create a little dent as well. Not sure it makes a huge difference, but cant hurt to round it a bit. Make sure to put a nut on there before grinding it down so you can ensure it will thread in afterwards.

Yeah, I don't want to pay for shipping though. Next time I am ordering parts - I'll probably buy the original. But for now, I think the rounded bolt should do. :

Back