Mechanic Recommendations in Los Angeles?

Couperi

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I spent the last two weeks out of town, and decided that I wanted to come home to a running bike. Prior to leaving I dropped my '82 XS650 off at the mechanic, with the expectation that they'd be able to handle the repair which at the time I believed it to be a fried pickup coil.

They said it was giving an alright reading, and claimed the issue was the TCI (which they kept referring to as the CDI and ECU, interchangeably) so I snagged one of those (thanks to @DogBunny) and had it sent out to them while I was away. Now they're saying that the TCI unit isn't doing the trick, so clearly, their diagnosis was off. Now I have a ton of respect for people who work on their own bikes, but I'm feeling like these guys don't have a f**king clue what they're doing.

So I have two questions for the forum:

1. Does anyone have any good mechanic recommendations for Los Angeles? I'm based out of Northeast LA, so something local would be nice.

2. Is anyone on this forum from LA, and interested in helping me go over my bike? It'd be great to work with someone who already knows the bike, and personally, I'd rather learn to fix it myself. Obviously, there's a case of beer in it for someone who wants to take the time to help out.

In the meanwhile, I'm considering just heading to the shop and going through one of the many troubleshooting guides on this forum myself. The place I have the bike at lets you use their tools/lift for $15/hour, so that may be the ticket.

Back