Free - members screwing other members

Good thread, about time some one spoke up. There is a feedback but names get lost, a new post is put up instead of searching for the sellers name and posting in an existing feed back post.

Needs some fine tuning, like once a name has been posted up then only that post can be added to.

When the classifieds were first included i tried to get Travis to include a new member type of system where they pay for the privilege and older, (established members), get to post free.

I say call out the shit heads, name and shame.

Could PM Travis as well, if there are enough complaints then maybe he could help establish some sort of system to help out. How hard would it be to have a thread where you have to have 50 posts up to get into it, if you haven't then you are directed to a pre thread where a donation has to be payed, and by doing so the member is agreeing to abide by a set of rules published in the thread. Once the donation has been payed the classified opens up for the sub 50 post member

Although the rules may hold no water it at least makes those members think, and by a donation the site gets something out of it.

^^ should be no reason to pay to post. Should be honest fukn people. If I want to pay I go to ebay. I do ok with that, but I also have helped alot of folks out for cheap on here with parts. We just need a time factor of X amount of months or days to be members before posting, a real feedback system other then a section to post. When you have a number or % by your name always, people see it right now.

Yep if the admin can a feedback under post count would be ideal.
I meant pay once (or annually) to get classifieds. I'd gladly pay $20 a year to get classifieds and I barely am on this forum.

The reason for a min post count, it gives the other members a chance to get to know the member. I know that can be unrealistic to a degree, but trust has to be earned so if a member only wants to sell stuff then he/she earns trust but has to pay for it. 50 post min means a member has usually shown how good they are at communication by then, other members can look up their posts, if it will help to give an idea of who the member is.

Travis didn't want to get into a pay system, i can understand where he was coming from, but if there are problems, (as this thread shows), I for one think we have to do something.

Once a member is entrenched they usually have something to offer the site, (giving back through help), so why should they also be forced to pay.

I dont think its as much of getting to know people as it is, '' hey you need to participate on the site '' And show you have interest in the hobby/lifestyle. The ebay style feedback system is the way to do it period. It would help alot of people, detour the ones that are dik bags away, along with the month or 60 post count. Been on alot of forums, it weeds out 99% of the people who are out to just sell stuff or scammers.

I've bought, sold, given away, begged borrowed and stole on this site...and only once I didn't like what I received. Do MORE homework!!! If YOU don't know what YOU are buying YOU can buy the wrong part. I've only had one thing in 3 yrs that I wasn't TOTALLY happy with, BUT... It was as posted. I understand that fleebay people ARE going to post here, but YOU have to know what YOU are buying......Just saying.

^^ I agree, tho I must say I haven't been burned on this forum. Meant some cool people and bought some nice parts. Thanks for that brake line by the way. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

^^ like wise brotha. I have bought and sold stuff to great folks. Like I always say in my PM's I am not out to dick anyone, if I can help ya, you or you can help me get a little better deal, then erryone is a happy camper

I am all against any "board controls" or regulation of the classies. I guess I am a bit libertarian but c'mon, Man up, it's old MC parts, get a feel for who you are dealing with and and dive in or NOT. If you are THAT risk intolerant maybe old motorcycles shouldn't be your thing..... Anyone ever been screwed by a dealer with huge brand affiliated signage? NOTHING is risk free....
When on the road we make a point of trying to eat at ma n pa restaurants also. Some winners and some losers there too, but we've always been fed and never lost the family fortune. One small town in New Mexico the only restaurant had a big red board of health warning on the front door, place was packed and the food was great. I think they were kind of proud of the warning.
I agree we could work on that feedback thread a bit, it is cumbersome to find the guys username and any past threads. I've found and combined quite a few threads there. Do any of you guys Craigslist? LOL No membership rating or fees there either.
We are very lax about people barging into threads and commenting, unless it's way over the top we don't change or delete anything. Skull has waded in and called guys out on discrepancies a bunch of times.
So; several guys have had bad experiences but did they post in the thread and describe their experience? Or do they just want "someone else" to make it all safe for them no effort on their part?
When buying do you take a look at the seller's other posts and threads? That is VERY easy to do. I do it a bunch and have found interesting things about the guy AND his parts that have influenced my buy, don't buy decision. Recently there was stuff that looked very good, "rust free" parts. A little searching and I found the "just bought this" thread. I'd guess there was some steel wool used on those "rust free" parts. Well it's off to work for me.

I am all against any "board controls" or regulation of the classies. I guess I am a bit libertarian but c'mon, Man up, it's old MC parts, get a feel for who you are dealing with and and dive in or NOT. If you are THAT risk intolerant maybe old motorcycles shouldn't be your thing..... Anyone ever been screwed by a dealer with huge brand affiliated signage? NOTHING is risk free....
When on the road we make a point of trying to eat at ma n pa restaurants also. Some winners and some losers there too, but we've always been fed and never lost the family fortune. One small town in New Mexico the only restaurant had a big red board of health warning on the front door, place was packed and the food was great. I think they were kind of proud of the warning.
I agree we could work on that feedback thread a bit, it is cumbersome to find the guys username and any past threads. I've found and combined quite a few threads there. Do any of you guys Craigslist? LOL No membership rating or fees there either.
We are very lax about people barging into threads and commenting, unless it's way over the top we don't change or delete anything. Skull has waded in and called guys out on discrepancies a bunch of times.
So; several guys have had bad experiences but did they post in the thread and describe their experience? Or do they just want "someone else" to make it all safe for them no effort on their part?
When buying do you take a look at the seller's other posts and threads? That is VERY easy to do. I do it a bunch and have found interesting things about the guy AND his parts that have influenced my buy, don't buy decision. Recently there was stuff that looked very good, "rust free" parts. A little searching and I found the "just bought this" thread. I'd guess there was some steel wool used on those "rust free" parts. Well it's off to work for me.

I'm with you on this, I gess I just wanted every one to know there are dick heads out there,I gess I could call them out but I no snitch they know who they are both had high post numbers, and I have not seen them on here in a long time now and they have not answered there pm's, I just want us to all treat each other like we want to be treated
what go's around comes around. we all help every one weather it be a sawzall kings or the restro man we all love our ventage bikes and love working on them lets not take the FUN OUT OF THIS FOURM JUST STAND UP AND BE THE MEN WE KNOW ARE. :thumbsup:

I would also advise against buying from "xs650dreamer". (I'm only posting this because I see he has a lot of parts for sale)

Tried to buy some carbs from him, he took my money then told me the carbs where different (diff carb) than he origionally posted (honest mistake). Kept telling me he would "refund me soon". after almost a month, had to get paypal involved. think it started off as an honest mistake, but in the end, guy showed himself to be a POS.

There are plenty of good sellers on here though. thanks to them

Mine was actually a transaction here on the board, but the guy opened a Paypal claim before talking to me about it. I refunded him directly and he kept the part anyway. Totally bogus.

I've had a lot solid trades, bought tons of parts and sold several. I however will not be doing business with user "xs650dreamer" again.

Where did integrity go.....just be honest.

Honest people make honest mistakes and live by their word.

Id take a financial hit before any of you had something bad to say about me......

Im proud of the fact that people respect me because I tell it like it is and do what i say im gonna do......

I've been in this situation myself. I fretted for a long time about whether to sell a few items or just chunk 'em and not bother with people or shipping. In the end, I decided to help the XS community and offer a few things. I sent one item half way around the world with clear details and pictures before hand. He still said he wanted it. When it got there he told me he was now having second thoughts because of the condition of the part. I said what do you want me to do? Refund your money? I will be happy to do that if you think I misrepresented the part but don't bother shipping it back to me on my dime, the part isn't worth it, just throw it in the trash. In the end, he kept it and I assume is happy with it. I learned from that one and will likely just give the stuff away for free on craigslist next time. I take pride in being an up-front and honest person and was quite taken back with the buyer's comments as though I wasn't clear in the first place about the condition of the part. You would have thought he was blind with all the pictures I sent. Sometimes I think it is better to be an introvert locked away in my garage than try to help someone out. Live and learn. :shrug:

I am a bit naive and tend to believe the best in people, but one thing I don't really know about is the post count. I consider this to be a "specialty" forum. I found this place because I just bought my XS. I had the thing completely torn down and was buying parts in my first week. Would you have rather me filled up 50 posts with "Nice bike!" or something of that nature, just to be able to buy/sell here? This place is a great forum for information, but isn't so active that you could make 50 meaningful posts real fast.

I get the reservations of Newbies, I really do. Even though I am new, I definitely prefer to deal with people that have a higher post count. Realistically though, most people will come here to build their bike. Some stick around, some don't. Once the bike is built though, I imagine the need to buy and sell diminishes pretty quick. That is going to leave the rotating newb bunch to do the majority of it.

FWIW, whenever I buy or sell something with someone relatively new, I will google names, addresses, user names, etc. Many people will use the same information across many boards. A lot of the time, problematic people will show up.

I may not have many posts, but I do consider myself an honest person. I am a part of many communities (offroading) and always try to help people out. I always try to give accurate pictures and always try to show any faults that they may have. We all share the same hobby and it's terrible we all can't help each other out. Some people have to ruin it for others, but until I'm screwed over, I hope to see the best in people, especially a community like this

I will definitely throw in a positive remark and agree that there are a lot of down to earth people posting here, offering services or selling and trading. Bad apples will pop up, but the people who rule are still here too.

Sometimes as sellers we make mistakes and it is our responsibility to make it right. I recently sold what I believed was a brake rotor from a US model but the buyer informed me that is was from a European model because the O.D. was smaller so I refunded his money except what I had to pay for shipping instead of refunding all of his money and requesting the part back. He didn't ask for the refund but I sent it anyway. He should be able to resell the rotor, listed correctly, and make more than the cost of shipping from it.

Would you have rather me filled up 50 posts with "Nice bike!" or something of that nature, just to be able to buy/sell here? This place is a great forum for information, but isn't so active that you could make 50 meaningful posts real fast.

I wouldn't like to see any one discouraged from selling parts. My idea was to have a pre thread where a new, (50 posts or what ever), member had to read a set of guidelines and donate some money to the site. Could be a choice of $5, $10 or what ever.

The guide lines would have been along the lines of reminder that we are all here for the same reason and respect and integrity is something we all need to take heed of.

I get the reservations of Newbies, I really do. Even though I am new, I definitely prefer to deal with people that have a higher post count. Realistically though, most people will come here to build their bike. Some stick around, some don't. Once the bike is built though, I imagine the need to buy and sell diminishes pretty quick. That is going to leave the rotating newb bunch to do the majority of it.

FWIW, whenever I buy or sell something with someone relatively new, I will google names, addresses, user names, etc. Many people will use the same information across many boards. A lot of the time, problematic people will show up.

Doesn't matter because it isn't going to happen.

Back