Metal In the secondary oil Filter!

Is there any black plastic as well? usually that is caused by the cam chain rubbing through the plastic guide and going into the aluminum.

Worst case would be a bad crank.

Which filter? Is it your first oil change for the bike? What kind of metal? You sure its not plastic? Pics would help too. Year, model and mods (if any) done.Unusual noises while rideing? Give us something to work with. We want to help but give us some clues.

Probably a torn sump filter letting metal shavings from the grinding starter gears get through the oil pump to the secondary filter. You will need a new sump filter, or repair your old one. The you will need to tend to the starter gears if they are grinding. You may be able to salvage the gears that are there already, or just install a new one from Mike's XS. I had the same savings in my filter, and did the repairs described. I haven't changed the oil out yet after I renewed it after the repairs, so we'll see what's what.

Last edited:
Which filter? Is it your first oil change for the bike? What kind of metal? You sure its not plastic? Pics would help too. Year, model and mods (if any) done.Unusual noises while rideing? Give us something to work with. We want to help but give us some clues.

Just bought the bike, 1983 xs650 Heritage Special. No Mods. Looks like the Oil hasnt
been changed for a long while, the bike was neglected severely. Unable to ride, have to rebuild the carbs. Looks like metal in secondary Oil filter. (not the sump filter). Will be pulling of the sump filter, I am sure that needs replaced.:thumbsup:

1. You need to give some background info to the bike. You just buy it or have you had it for 10k miles and haven't changed the oil once, etc. We can't read your mind.

2. Post some pictures of the situation so we can help you. We're all here to learn and help. So help us help you.

Considering that you just bought it, and you do not know the whole story of it's life, I would start with the basics and begin with http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367.

Then go thru the "tech" section under "maintenance" and read it well.

There is a ton of extremely valuable info on here and years of experiance, so use that to your advantage. Don't start tearing and ripping. You need do step 1 before going to step 2.

lol wow I didn't realize I walked away from the computer before I posted my response, for that long. Ok so you just bought it. We also need to know how much is a lot of metal. So just snap a cpl pics and let us see.

lol wow I didn't realize I walked away from the computer before I posted my response, for that long. Ok so you just bought it. We also need to know how much is a lot of metal. So just snap a cpl pics and let us see.

here is a pic, not the best but I tried. Oil filter.jpg

Ok, then you are likely looking at bearing material/piston rings/camchain/transmission and any other iron based materials inside the engine. A tear down is in order regardless, even if it was just as simple as a camchain guide.

has this engine been running in your possession?

I'd get it running, listen to it, and put a couple quick oil changes through it. It's not uncommon to find lots of chips in both filters when you 1st get one of these. P.O.s are notorious for never changing the oil or cleaning the filters.

Ok, then you are likely looking at bearing material/piston rings/camchain/transmission and any other iron based materials inside the engine. A tear down is in order regardless, even if it was just as simple as a camchain guide.

has this engine been running in your possession?

at first for a minute a so, but died due to carb probs.

Back