Mid controls

Wes72

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey I just got a 83 xs650 hardtail and looking to switch from forward controls to mid controls. Does anyone have a good site I could purchase a set from? Also Is it pretty easy to take off the top end and get to the head gasket?

On the mids I have no idea, I like them stock.
Now on the head you have to pull the engine out of the frame, then follow the steps in your repair manual. You can get one as a free download at biker.net
Leo

If you look at the top of the rocker box you will see 8 large acorn nuts. These nuts go on studs that screw into the case below the cylinders. With the engine in the frame there is not enough room the lift of any of the parts off the studs.
Leo

Hey I just got a 83 xs650 hardtail and looking to switch from forward controls to mid controls. Does anyone have a good site I could purchase a set from? Also Is it pretty easy to take off the top end and get to the head gasket?

Hi Wes and welcome,
What mid controls will fit depends on how much of the frame was left after the hardtailing process.
If the original footpeg mounts are still there and you can re-attach the stock footpegs, brake and shift levers you are golden.
This list's want ads is a good place to look for used parts.
Pulling the head is easy.
Pulling the entire motor so you can do that, not so much.
BUT
If you are trying to fix an oil leak, try this first.
Slacken ALL the head nuts.
Remove the 4 head nuts that have composite washers under them and discard the washers.
Replace the washers with solid copper washers.
Re-torque the head nuts to the correct numbers in the proper sequence.
The search function will guide you through this.

Back