Mike's Commando System

engine22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to place an order for a new exhaust system through mikesxs and he hasn't responded to me in a few days so I thought I'd ask you guys. My frame is a 78 Standard. Mike has three sets of the "commando" street system. One is on sale and it is for "specials" priced at $299. The other two are priced at $362 and one is for standards and one is for specials. My question is should I buy the special system even though I have a standard frame and save $62? It seems as though either system would work for either a standard or special.

Should I fork out the extra $62 or not??

engine22,

The mounting hard points on the frame and the rear foot pegs are located differently in the standard and special.

so does that mean that the special system wouldn't work on a standard frame, or would you just need a different hanger strap?

buy the standard verison, you'll be happier with it. they do come with different hanger straps plus the standard version has a flange that you can bolt the header directly to the frame - the special version does not.

I recently helped my buddy install the Special system on his Special. The muffler hanger points didn't match that well and some minor fabbing was required. We added "P" clamps to the headpipes which can be done for a lot less that $62 .....

PClamp.jpg

Back