Mono Shocking your XS650

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I had intended and probably will do on my next XS650 is to mono shock it. I know some of you have done this, but I find the mono swing arm on my XS400R is a really nice piece and would make a good source for this project, it looks good, is stout and has needle bearring action.

The key is will it fit within the XS650 frame? - so I measured it the width is 8 5/16". Well tell me is it a shoe in? Early Viragos also have this magnificent piece, undoubtably a different spec/dimension well maybe.

Last edited:
IM running a Ninja 250 swinger on my 650. Its a mono shock style, and needle bearing innerds. Another good thing is you can re use your original pivot bolt.
HOWEVER, you will need to machine 6mm from each face of the pivot tube. But this allows you to run your original rubber o ringed steel washers on the ends. Its also about 3.75 inches longer to give some stretch if you want.
I know its from a 250, but its still pretty stout. Modern technology.

Is the 8 5/16 the frame or swingarm. I think the frame I measured for a guy was 8 1/4. I think you would need to do a bit of machining as durgam k did. Make it match the 650 swing arm width.

I measured the swingarm width w/o the grease seal washers. If the Width of the XS frame is 8.25" then the swing arm will have to be trimmed.

This a proposed future project - there are plently of these arms on EBay for around $80.00.

i have seen a few mono set up on bikes in aust..... and a heap of mono set up on gs1000e /s in usa ,,on gs resources .. alot for better handling go fo piggy back twin shocks ,,, which you can pick up a good secondhand set for 30-400 ... haggling ,,, regards oldbiker

I just went out and checked the frame about 7 7/8 inch at the swing arm. Give or take a bit. I just measured from the outside of the swing arm seals.
Maybe the 8 1/4 was the width of the swing arm at the axle plates.

IM running a Ninja 250 swinger on my 650. Its a mono shock style, and needle bearing innerds. Another good thing is you can re use your original pivot bolt.
HOWEVER, you will need to machine 6mm from each face of the pivot tube. But this allows you to run your original rubber o ringed steel washers on the ends. Its also about 3.75 inches longer to give some stretch if you want.
I know its from a 250, but its still pretty stout. Modern technology.

I'd been considering this conversion as well. Any pics of your bike with the 250 swinger? I'd like to see how the 4" of stretch look with the monoshock.

Posted via Mobile

Its not much,. but this is the best i can do at the moment. Its the 250 swingarm, but im not running a mono shock. I probably should have mentioned that sorry. Its hadr to see the stretch without a seat or other goodies mounted up. My frame is at the blasters right now.
Phonestuff032.jpg

Youre right it's hard to tell without the seat and wheels. I just got a 250 swinger. Was it just 6mm off each side of the pivot? I haven't looked at mine real close but at first glance, it looks like the pivot section may be offset to one side. Did you mock up a wheel to check chain alignment and so forth. I'd rather just take the 6 mil off each side than to mock everything up and break out the calipers.

Are you welding tabs on for the shocks?

I'm gonna try to run mine as a mono, but haven't hardly touched it to see what's all involved. I've got the stock 250 shock and linkage with it so we'll see. Thanks for the pic though. Definately post pics as you progress.

Posted via Mobile

Back