Motorcycle Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

_MC6_

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
FORT WORTH - A 21-year-old Fort Worth man was killed Sunday evening when he wrecked his motorcycle on North Riverside Drive.

Witnesses told police that Joshua Davis was speeding in and out of traffic lanes while traveling south on North Riverside, then lost control of his 2004 red Yamaha and hit a curb, according to Sgt. Cynthia Blake, supervisor of the traffic investigation unit.

Davis, who was wearing a helmet, was ejected from the motorcycle.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 6:35 p.m. in the driveway of a church parking lot in the 7100 block of North Riverside Drive.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/0...h-man-killed-in-motorcycle.html#ixzz1WTqvUXoL

I was upstairs in my house on Sunday and heard this unfold... I heard someone accelerating rapidly and then an inexplicable impact sound that just was eerily motorcycle flesh and stone. I was halfway to the front door (running) and my daughter and her friends met me exclaiming that someone had wrecked on a motorcycle. I was running at this point. I opened our gate and saw one or two cars and the young guy that lost his life. He had lost control and hit a stone church mailbox at a very high rate of speed. His motorcycle was at least 100 yards away after a full frontal impact. Debris was everywhere. He was really messed up. I can't tell you how this made me feel. My daughter said he lifted his head and then expired. I just had to share this with someone and this seemed like an appropriate place. I felt selfish about all the times I've done the same kind of thing and lived. Nothing feels like winding the piss out of a motor you've built and know so well. Motorcycles are such fickle beasts. My heart and thoughts are with this young man and his family.

_MC6_

Last edited:
It's a big shock to the system when you witness something like this out of the blue where you least expect it. But it passes.

Take heed kids and don't sell your life so cheaply.

A very sad event for sure. Too much speed, and too little experience for the driver. If only the 18 to 30 year olds had the experience of the 40+ crowd.

Sad indeed.

RG, the riding experience? What about the 40+ year olds who are just getting into motorcycles?

Tough deal for sure, hang in there and don't take it to heart that you made it and he didn't, part of that natural selection thing I guess. Crank up your bike tomorrow and at least enjoy the sound.

Sad indeed.

RG, the riding experience? What about the 40+ year olds who are just getting into motorcycles?

I'm 55 and have been riding since 1974 but I sometimes ride with several, new, older riders. From what I've seen they tend to be not quite so brave (foolhardy) as younger riders but they have at least as many, if not more, slow speed accidents due to slower reaction times and diminished physical conditions. They seem no less likely to have low speed accidents but a lot less likely to have the splattering of the brain sorts of accidents.

One thing they do sometimes lack is the confidence that is sometimes needed to improve upon their skills. I suspect most will never know the handling capabilities of their motorcycles but they do tend to be better educated than younger riders-- though not always.

My favorite folks to ride with remain to be old dudes who have been riding 30+ years.

Always be a little bit scared.

PS. Based on personal observations with no facts to back up my opinions.

Last edited:
It's really tough to get past the shock to your system when you see something like that, you may never get passed it. My best riding buddy, one of the charter members of my riding group died as a result of an accident which happened only four miles from his home. He and myself both love the old vertical twin motorcycles, he loved the KZ750 Kawasaki twin and me with my XS650. The last time I rode with him, we took the old bikes 120 miles to the southern part of Ohio for a day of back road plunking. He was involved in the accident approx a week later when a car turned in front of him and his Kawasaki. He died nearly a year later as a result of the accident. He was 55 years old and an experienced rider.

I didn't see the accident, but seeing my buddy after the accident changed me forever.

One of the members of my group bought the old KZ750 and restored it back to the way it was before the accident.

I'm 55 and have been riding since 1974 but I sometimes ride with several, new, older riders. From what I've seen they tend to be not quite so brave (foolhardy) as younger riders but they have at least as many, if not more, slow speed accidents due to slower reaction times and diminished physical conditions. They seem no less likely to have low speed accidents but a lot less likely to have the splattering of the brain sorts of accidents.

One thing they do sometimes lack is the confidence that is sometimes needed to improve upon their skills. I suspect most will never know the handling capabilities of their motorcycles but they do tend to be better educated than younger riders-- though not always.

My favorite folks to ride with remain to be old dudes who have been riding 30+ years.

Always be a little bit scared.

PS. Based on personal observations with no facts to back up my opinions.

ReycleBill..............Yup, that just about sums it up. The youth just don't recognize the dangers in biking,cars, boats,RV's, etc. To them, an accident is something you see on the news, but could never happen to them.

Travis.............new +40 riders should make out OK, maybe due to the "liitle bit scared" that keeps a governor on the throttle.

i should save this as my home page or something. i just bought a drz and that thing makes me ride like an asshole. (i blame the bike cause it cant possibly be my fault). I gotta get my xs running again. Its way slower so i ride more carefully. Like i always should...

It is not a pleasant site. I helped pick up the pieces of a guy that rode his Virago through a barbed wire fence. Also I watched a young girl die face down in the middle of the road out in front of the house. She was maybe in her early 20s. She had rolled her car. Another time I heard what sounded like a train wreck out in front of the house, I saw a black Mitsubishi flying through the front yard end over end and a guy in the air above the car. In the passenger's side was a guy half way out the window, stuck in his seat belt. They both lived. These folks had all just left the bar about 2 miles west of the house. I had been at the bar the afternoon that the Virago rider cashed in. He was so drunk he was having trouble playing pool. I got hit while stopped at an intersection. A white Toyota pickup broad slid into the back of my Guzzi and launched it accross 4 lanes of traffic and a median strip. The driver was so drunk he could barely walk. Reflecting on all of this, I decided it was best for me to stop drinking. That was in 1987.

On a brand H group i belong to there is an annual discussion about drinking and riding. I am all for it. If you are going to go on the road drunk by all means take the motorcycle 100cc would be perfect not the car or pick up. I also believe OWIs should have their license restricted to 100cc scooters. If you didn't catch it, it's the better them than me theory.

Acouple of years ago the NZ gov't decided to put up Motorcycle registrations up due to the rising number of MC accidents.
Of couse the gov't read the facts to suit themselves and justify the increas in reg's, but it makes for some interesting reading and does go to show that the afluent over 40's, accidents and deaths have made the overall statistics rise.
Rego, for bikes over 600cc went from about $300 per year to $550, they were going to go up to $700 but there was a lot of opposition, rallies, and written objections so they compromised............Yea right i think they put the price on the high side knowing the backlash it would cause, then made themselves look good with the compromise.

Same old story, instead of safty programs to make people safer, hit them in the pocket so they have more revenue :banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• STATISTICS - MOTORCYCLE CRASHES.pdf
    289.8 KB · Views: 197
^ I would like to see frequency of crashes for age range instead of percentage of the totals.

In part because 40+ is a 40 year range; a huge number of people! 20-25, not such a large group. LOL.

Getting older does not make you smarter. Example all the 40 to 60 somethings who never rode a day in their lives and went out and bought Harleys. Take them out of the statistics and us old guys will look pretty good.

Getting older does not make you smarter. Example all the 40 to 60 somethings who never rode a day in their lives and went out and bought Harleys. Take them out of the statistics and us old guys will look pretty good.

The dumbest ones are those who buy trikes because they think they're safer.

There are old riders, there are bold riders, there are no old bold riders.
Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back