Mounting my new Frisco "STR" Tank from Pandemonium Choppers

jt03rubicon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So, I bought a new Frisco STR tank from Pandemonium Choppers and looking for different ideas for mounting the tank.

First, I was thinking about drilling and tapping into the backbone, but I am concerned about the thickness of the backbone and its ability to withstand vibrations of the bike.

Secondly, I was looking into the Frisco Style Hidden Tank Mounting Kit from Crime Scene Choppers. Unfortunately my frame is already powdercoated and I concerned about welding and grinding over the powdercoating.

Basically, looking for your expertise on which way to go with mounting this tank.

Thanks in advance!

Best way to install would be to use threaded bungs welded into the top of the backbone, you are going to have to re-powdercoat or paint. The backbone is not thick enough to allow for tapping a thread into it. You can buy the bungs you need - Hughs handbuilt was selling them.

Cheers.

I highly recommend using bungs. I thought I could get away with just drilling and tapping, but I was wrong. I lost one of the bolt on the first test ride, had to hold the tank all the way home to keep it from banging around. I used the ones from Hughs, worked great and easy to weld in.

Thanks for the help...I will go with that option of welding the bungs in the backbone. However, I am still concerned about the welding creating bubbling in the powder coating. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just use a lot of tack welds and go all the way around giving it a sec to cool off before going on to the next one. That'll at least keep the heat down and the damage to the powder to a min.

Spot welding it will just make it crack down the road from vibration. The powdercoat is going to burn off no matter what. Use proper welding techniques and powder/paint your frame again. And take it as a lesson learned...mock up before paint.

Posted via Mobile

I recommend using bung king's top hat bungs; the OD is slightly smaller than others I've used, you only need to drill a 5/8" hole as opposed to a 3/4" with the lowbrow bungs.

Not sure about hughs...

I don't know if this will help you but this is something I have done in the past. In dealing with tubing that needs a tapped hole thru it I have first drilled a 1/2" hole all the way thru. Next, I take a solid piece of mild steel rod 1/2" in daimeter, trim it slightly longer than the length of the hole through the tube. Place the piece of metal in a lathe, drill and tap to the desired thread. Next, insert it in the hole previously made in the tube and carefully weld it. The protruding parts of the insert can now be ground to match the radius of the tube. With care, minimal damage to your finish will occur.

I bought the bike from a guy who completed about 75% of the work on the bike, to include powder coating the frame. Now I am just trying to get the bike in working order at this point.

As a result, I have decided to go with Hugh's 1/2" tank bung kit. Hopefully, some good welding techniques will prevent the powder coating from cracking too much.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the help.

Back