Restomod from New Zealand

J Vreede

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I’m sort-of new here. I joined back in 2020. I bought this project Resto-mod (’74 frame & running gear/‘79 engine) in 2016, but have not worked on it until now. The pictures show it as I got it. In my opinion it’s got timeless lines (if you grew up in the 60’s and 70’s anyway).

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2776 (2).JPG
It looks stock at first glance, but this is a partial list of what’s on/in it:
Brembo 320mm discs with R1 calipers and R6 radial master cylinder with braided lines (on std forks!)​
Racetech cartridge emulators at front & Ohlins twinshocks on a GB500 Honda swingarm​
18” front rim with stainless spokes front & rear​
Heiden pipes with Conti mufflers​
Std pegs shortened and rearset​
Giuliani café seat​
200W PMA, dual Dyna coils and Pamco (w/electronic adv) ign.​

Anyway now is the time to finish it.

My contribution to the bike will be new wiring as most of it is corroded (strip the insulation anywhere and the copper is green) and a mashup of ’74 &’79 wiring/components. I want remote starting but can’t afford an M-Unit Blue, so I’ve made my own from a remote relay board and a couple of SPST relays to latch it. I‘ve got an FH020AA Mosfet reg/rec as the most robust one I know of, and an STS inertial/gyro self-cancelling indicator unit to put in. I’m going to use 1.1mm2 56 strand wire that’s used to on industrial robots, which should be proof against breakage from vibration and movement around the steering head.

I’m not sure about the std 35mm forks with 320mm discs/R1 calipers, so I’m thinking maybe some RWU 41mm R6 forks to attach the calipers like OEM. There’s only ~1mm clearance between the spokes and the insides of the 2 calipers which, I think, is why the builder used an 18” front wheel rim. I’m not keen on the 18” front as it doesn’t fill the mudguard properly or track as well on gravel roads, which we still have plenty of here. Custom triple clamps could space the legs and discs at whatever is necessary to give clearance on the spokes of a 19” rim.

At first I was freaked that it didn’t have matching engine & frame numbers, but once I thought about it, the later engine is probably better and I like the earlier styling. Besides I can’t get any flak for modifying something that should have been restored.

Rgds - jv

Last edited:
Hi JV, welcome to the madness!

You are so right about timeless appeal, that bike has it in spades. Had that Guiliani seat or sommat v similar on a Kawasaki Z1 of fond memories, so 70s-80s. Looking forward to seeing how it comes along with the changes you're planning, cheers, Raymond

Hi guys

I’m sort-of new here. I joined back in 2016, when I bought this project Resto-mod (’74 frame & running gear/‘79 engine), but have not worked on it until now. The pictures show it as I got it. In my opinion it’s got timeless lines (if you grew up in the 60’s and 70’s anyway).

View attachment 247824
View attachment 247827It looks stock at first glance, but this is a partial list of what’s on/in it:
Brembo 320mm discs with R1 calipers and R6 radial master cylinder with braided lines (on std forks!)​
Racetech cartridge emulators at front & Ohlins twinshocks on a GB500 Honda swingarm​
Giuliani café seat​

My contribution to the bike will be new wiring as most of it is corroded (strip the insulation anywhere and the copper is green) and a mashup of ’74 &’79 wiring/components. I want remote starting but can’t afford an M-Unit Blue, so I’ve made my own from a remote relay board and a couple of SPST relays to latch it. I‘ve got an FH020AA Mosfet reg/rec as the most robust one I know of, and an STS inertial/gyro self-cancelling indicator unit to put in. I’m going to use 1.1mm2 56 strand wire that’s used to on industrial robots, which should be proof against breakage from vibration and movement around the steering head.

I’m not sure about the std 35mm forks with 320mm discs/R1 calipers, so I’m thinking maybe some RWU 41mm R6 forks to attach the calipers like OEM. There’s only ~1mm clearance between the spokes and the insides of the 2 calipers which, I think, is why the builder used an 18” front wheel rim. I’m not keen on the 18” front as it doesn’t fill the mudguard properly or track as well on gravel roads, which we still have plenty of here. Custom triple clamps could space the legs and discs at whatever is necessary to give clearance on the spokes of a 19” rim.

At first I was freaked that it didn’t have matching engine & frame numbers, but once I thought about it, the later engine is probably better and I like the earlier styling. Besides I can’t get any flak for modifying something that should have been restored.

Rgds - jv
Hello JV
What a cracking bike!
Lots of nice details on your restomod.
Looking forward to the finished article.

Hi guys

I’m sort-of new here. I joined back in 2016, when I bought this project Resto-mod (’74 frame & running gear/‘79 engine), but have not worked on it until now. The pictures show it as I got it. In my opinion it’s got timeless lines (if you grew up in the 60’s and 70’s anyway).

View attachment 247824
View attachment 247827It looks stock at first glance, but this is a partial list of what’s on/in it:
Giuliani café seat​

Rgds - jv
I had an 19” Sun rim custom laced inside/inside to clear the calipers on my stock 43mm r6 front end

Welcome. I really, really, really like your "slightly rearset" rearsets.
Thanks all
Here are some closeups of the 'mid-sets' Kevin. Much nicer riding positioning with flat bars than standard and look easy to do. Don't claim any credit as that's how I got it. Believe the builder was a South African guy named Pete (or Piet) from Auckland.
IMG_20230726_093009.jpg
IMG_20230726_093046.jpg
IMG_20230726_093144.jpg
IMG_20230726_093057.jpg
IMG_20230726_093109.jpg
IMG_20230726_093207.jpg

Back