Mythical Half Chain Link

supertrooper1983

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My bike's got a tc bros hardtail and after mounting my new rear fender, and starting to look at the tension on my chain I'm afraid it's too tight and might rip out the cam shaft. A buddy of mine suggested I find a half link. I've been looking around and am starting to think they're like big foot, everyone's heard of them but no one has ever seen one. Other than installing multiple links and a chain tensioner, any ideas on where I could find a half chain link? I appreciate it.

They are used on ag equipment, mainly combines, also they don't make them small enough for the cam chain size.

i'm asuming your talkin about the drive chain. i have acouple half links, i get them at local motorcycle dealer.

Any place that has industrial chains and gears will have half links
They are quite common used them all the time when I was young and too poor to replace a streched chain and taking out a link was too much

They do exist

Yup they sure do, sometimes it's needed for length corrections. Blue

Attachments

• 31H2oF9uIqL__SL160_.jpg
    31H2oF9uIqL__SL160_.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 129
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 163
Building track bicycles, it was always ill advised to run a half link, as it introduced a weakness in the drive chain.

Does the same hold true for moto chains?

Yep, Iv'e used a 1/2 link before, and have a set of ruined cases and a broken transmission because of it. And it was the nicest 1/2 link I could find... :(

I thought this was a really funny put on until people started saying its real, now my brain hurts. The link length is fixed by the sprocket teeth. How can you have a link shorter than than the others? Does not compute....

Edit: oh I see what it means now, just matching outy to innny instead of both ends the same but still adds one tooth hole.

Last edited:
One of those things which prove the adage...."Just because it can be done doesn't mean that you should do it! "
Don't use half links on motorcycle chains

Remember the other adage.....A chain is no stronger than it's weakest link. Blue

I guess I don't understand the tension issue. the tc bros hardtail should have axle plates with at least one link worth of adjustment. if it's too tight all the way forward in the axle plates, it needs to be one link longer.

Back