Need advice on welders

I have to chime in and say that I have had no issues with mikesxs to date. And will continue to order from there unless something drastic happens. That site is kind of what makes the xs' one of the most popular jap chops/restores, because it makes it so much easier to get new parts.

Ghetto didn't buy it, Dad did.
Miller 212 auto set.

Thanks daddy!

Yea we went with a Miller 212 Auto Set. We are all setup for 3 phase power so wiring up the plug for 220 was cake. I have used an almost identical Miller and there is simply no comparison!
Millermatic_212_Auto-SetLR.jpg

Technically the machine shop bought it! Not you! Hahaha

I tried one once on a Lincoln. I never had any experience welding aluminum, so it was a horror show. The biggest problem (other than the fact I had no clue) was the gun was very bulky. I've since talked to a very good welder that I know, and he says they're crap. Apparently, TIG is the way to go for welding aluminum. Just my 2 cents.

I got a great deal on a Lincoln 180 at Home Depot. They blow out the old stock or floor models when a new one comes in. Even if it is a floor model missing a small item you can call Lincoln and they will send it to you. They were great when I called them. Seems like many Lincoln parts are availble stocked in local stores, Miller has great support and parts locally too.

The 180 is 220V Mig and has way more then enough balls to do any weld project you might need to on your bikes. In fact it is too hot even on the lowest setting if you plan on welded thin sheet, like tanks or fenders. Mine burns through real easy. I need to use lots of trigger moves to keep it in check.

Adding a second sub panel to get a clean feed for the 220Vv was a project and hefty exspense alone. If was dong it again today I would get the biggest 120v unit instead. Makes easy to bring mobile and find power too if needed and still enough heat.

The thickest stuff I can see that might need welding is the axle plates. Tubing, frame work is all thin and most of the tabs and brackets are 1/4" or much less. I did some flux wire welding on engine stands and it worked fine but lots of mess. The argon helps keep it clean. If I keep this up for long I will eventually get a Tig unit. Once mastered it is the art work. I have a real pro who does all my aluminum for me. Of course he makes it look easy. Thats what 30 years of sparks can do for a man.

Tig is always the best choice for welding aluminum.I have tried Tig. It's hard! A guy next door has a smaller Miller with a spool gun but he only welds brackets on fairly large pieces of aluminum.

Mig is by far easier but my ol man taught me how to weld with a old lincoln hand crank and once you get good at stick the results are way better. But for someone just starting out a millermatic is the way to go!

I went to a welding class last year and already built a hardtailed Nighthawk on a different Millermatic. Learned on a 252 at the welding class. Started out stick welding.

Trying to start a buisness, we already have 330v for the CNC machines so wiring was done in about 5 mins... So a 220 was the right choice and probably be all the welder I need for a long time.

Back