Need help reading plugs

radio one

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please help me read these plugs and suggest possible jetting options. The engine is a 78 model with BS38 carbs. I don't remember the current jetting or needle settings but plugs look too rich to me. The engine was treated to a new valve job and new rings about 700 miles ago. The bike runs ok but doesn't pull as hard as I expected. The air filters are pods with straight pipes. I was thinking about reducing the main jet one size? Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 14 ebay 001.jpg
    14 ebay 001.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 133
Your going to have to go into the carbs anyway, so...........You need to post the jet sizes and needle settings you have in your carbs as a base to start from. Even pics of your pipes will help.

Every bike requires different settings, even stock, help us help you

1st- What "performance" gains did you believe you'd get with a "ring" job? Was it burning an unusual amount of oil?
2nd- In order to get a good plug reading you need to be sure to keep it WFO and hit the kill switch. IMO piston wash is the best method.

Need help reading plugs? Here ya go! For tuning purposes, the color of plugs that have been used at mixed throttle openings is almost meaningless. Go to www.strappe.com, click on "tech topics," click on "spark plugs," and read Gordon Jennings' classic article on the subject.

BTW, those straight pipes and pods aren't giving you any extra power.

Back