need help with xt250

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi folks, my son is working on a friends xt250 dual sport 1982. The lights kept blowing out and were trying to sort out the cause. This particular bike has no battery runs off a mag. at the Im not sure what its technical name is flywheel or stator im not sure. But there are 3 coils 2 are covered by the stator and the pickup could is exposed and visible. under this stator there are 2 more coils one for magneto and one for lighting.
This is a 6vdc system with no battery. We found 30 volts on one of the wires going to or from the cdi.
Bike runs fine just keeps blowing the light bulbs.
I have not a clue as to fix this issue. I was hoping someone on xs650 may have knowledge about this and help us solve the issue. it looks like from a picture I found on the web that this coil for the lights under the stator or what ever its name is could be removed with just 2 screws. Or could the 30vdc be normal and the problem be somewhere else.
Also a long shot could one do a regulator and separate rectifier like we make up for our 650s be used just for the lighting and horn? and change these over to 12vdc?
any help will be appreciated. thanks

I'm pretty sure that bike came with a battery. I had one way back when and it had a battery. Maybe the way it was eliminated is causing the issue.

Found this:

XT250 Regulator.jpg

I knew someone from xs650 would chime in. you guys are great. Been awhile since I been on here. I been building a xj550 chopper as of late and hanging out on the xj forum. Im still riding my xs now and then and its been a great ride. Had lots of help here on xs650 building it and rebuilding the motor.
This bike the xt we are working on for a young guy friend of my son. my son used to own the bike and had no issues with it and it changed hands a couple times and now its got electrical issues. Im not really sure if it had a battery at one time or not. I do not really see a place for a battery in the framework though. Now this one wire regulator will get the voltage back to where its supposed to be.
I cant believe how many hours Ive searched the web for a wiring schematic for this bike and cant find one. The wiring has been tampered with a bit so Im proceeding slow. I did find a description of what is behind the stator. There are a pickup for timing, a coil for magneto and one for lighting.
I would hope there would be instructions with the regulator as where to tie it into the system. Thanks for the quick responses.

I have a 1979 Honda xr500. It also is 6 volt with no battery. It uses 3 bulbs. If one of them burns out the rest will burn out. Headlight, tail light and speedometer light. If all three bulbs are healthy they last a long time.

Back