New electrics?

Keex

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Picking up a 1981 XS. Standard factory electrics. What would be a suggested first step/phase in upgrading the electrics - Pamco? Boyer? So many options at XS Direct makes me a little confused of which route to go.

First, foremost and as important as any component have a good battery.
If you are dead set on replacing things, most start with the ignition. You have several options, from DIY (read mrriggs posts @ this site http://xs650temp.proboards.com/) to finished products. Pamco and Boyer being two but not your only choices.
You didn't ask for my opinion but it is free.
If you have nill experience with the XS650 start with the original products. It could be they will work fine and you are getting a baseline knowledge of how the XS works. You also will get some seat time and find out whether (or not) the XS is something you want to ride. Or invest in.
Sorry I know this doesn't really help with the confusing amount of hype and product choice on Mike's sites.

You might get more views and responses if you post your questions (covering the XS itself) in the garage forum.

Amen, WR! Although a bit too diplomatic IMO. Look, Keex, there's a lot of "Monkey see, monkey do" going on with less-than-well-informed owners. Permanent magnet systems aren't upgrades, they're options, and they have their own issues for the rider to cope with. The original excited field alternator does a fine job and has only one vulnerability: the old rotor. If you have a proper rewind done, keep good brushes and battery installed, and go through the wiring harness cleaning all the connectors, the OE alternator will work fine and likely outlast the rest of the bike. Avoid new repop rotors; every one that I know of is Chinese junk. The crankshaft fired TCI ignition that's stock on your bike is more accurate than any camshaft fired system, and there are plenty of threads on this site that will tell you how to fix it if you need to. If you feel that you really must replace both ignition and charging systems, the Powerdynamo system from Hoos Racing will kill both birds with one stone, retain the advantage of crank fired ignition, and add the feature of adjustable advance curve ; contact hooser on this site. One more word to the wise--make 650 Direct your source of last resort!

Welcome Keex, +1 on what Wer and grizld1 has said.

There is all the information on this site that is required to fix and build any type of XS650 to what ever you want to do.

Go to the tech section, scroll down to the "Maintenance and General Troubleshooting" section and read threads 1,3,4 first. These will start you off.

Get a manual and to help till you do here is a link to manuals ad parts list manuals.
https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/tag/manual/

thexscafe; https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/ go to the left side and look through the "Tags" for information that may help

Last edited:
Welcome fellow Ontarian. I am 90 minutes south of you. Please post a picture of what you are starting with as advice given will depend on what you are starting with and where you are going with it. Many of us think that if it works, leave it alone, at least until you know its capabilities.

Torontonian stopping by to say welcome! Post some pictures of your XS!

There is a lot of different thoughts on how to improve reliability of your XS, a pamco or other ignition system is a fine option, however I would suggest riding it for a while first. Actually, I would confirm that the charging system is working first, then riding it around and having some saddle time to make sure that the engine is sorted well. If so, enjoy.

If in the future you'd like to swap stuff around you may go to your hearts content, I myself love the EX500 carburetors on my XS and would do it again if I own a second. However I lot of people love their BS34 and 38, it's up to you.

Picking up a 1981 XS. Standard factory electrics. What would be a suggested first step/phase in upgrading the electrics - Pamco? Boyer? So many options at XS Direct makes me a little confused of which route to go.

Excellent advice in this thread. "Picking up"....................sounds like you have not brought the bike home yet? Do you even know if the ignition is working and starting the bike? Have you put a voltmeter (VOM) on the battery and reved the engine to 3000 rpm?

Hide your credit card for a few weeks, until you have a good chance to inspect the bike and see what areas needs attention. Throwing money at expensive new parts is not the best way to go. Take your time before you start tossing out stock components.

Back