New guy from Nashville - bought a wrecked XS650 to fix up

utgrad

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been into cars most of my life: Jeeps, Chevelles, turbo Miata - all kinds of different things really, so I've decided to fix up a motorcycle. I really like the look of the old Triumphs, but those are quite a bit more expensive and complicated so thought I would start out with the XS650 after stumbling upon them on the internet. Seems to be a very popular platform and it's always good to have that base of knowledge to tap into since so many people are modding these bikes.

So there are not many of these XS650s around my area, but I found this one on Craigslist-it had been hit in the rear and bent the swingarm but the front part of the frame appears to be straight. So I thought I would see what I could do with this one. Got it stripped down and cut in about 5 hours so now I'm ready to send it off to get a hardtail welded on. Now it's time to start figuring out what all I want to do to this thing-I've probably spent 20 hours so far just searching around this and other XS650 websites for ideas-I'll post up on my progress!

Attachments

• XS650 Before Pic 2 - From side.jpg
    XS650 Before Pic 2 - From side.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 167
  • XS650 Before Pic3 - Frame front half.jpg
    XS650 Before Pic3 - Frame front half.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 144
I saw it, too. Offered him $200 for it. :)

Let me know if you need parts etc. I have several bikes and more motors etc.

John

Hey you Tennesse boys, how do you like living in that fine state? my wife keeps telling me we need to move down there. Beautiful country, she was interested in the cleveland area. Any recommendations when we go vist the state next fall? sorry off topic a bit.

Tennessee is a beautiful state. The riding around Cleveland is really excellent, and it's just a couple of hours from some of the absolute best in NC-the mountains around Highlands/Cashiers, you can ride this area for days without repeating a road. It would be hard to go wrong, and you'll never be asshole deep in snow. Pretty much year round riding. I don't care to ride unless it's above 50, but there's not many weeks that we don't get in a good ride or two.

Cleveland is close to Chattanooga which has everything one might need, and just 2 hrs from Atlanta or Nashville or Knoxville.

John

Well you want to stay at around Middle TN (Nashville) and East-this is the best part of the state. Cleveland is nice, but I don't think the job scene is the best there (best place for jobs in TN is Nashville). There are many beautiful places to live in East TN if you don't have to worry about obtaining income locally to support yourself. No state income tax. Sales tax (almost 10%) is a bit high. Other expenses are pretty low relative to most other parts of the country. If you like the outdoors then the Chattanooga/Cleveland area is great. We have the Smoky Mtns and all kinds of great places to bike, hike, etc. around here. Not much snow around here. LOTS of people are moving to this state!!

Thanks guys, ya living in Minnesota my whole life and dealing with well below freezing temps and alot of snow is getting old with my wife and I. I am a toolmaker/machinist and it seems like the chattanooga has some shops. We are both excited to visit next fall, can you guys predict when the leaves will be the best color? Thanks alot for the input.

sorry utgrad for hijacking your thread, my father-in-law has a '71 chevelle 454 SS numbers matching, beautiful car black with white stripes, the car was originally green but the previous owner he bought it from had it painted.

End of Oct. is best, but it's hard to pin down a week. Pretty good right now and getting better. PM when you're ready to come, I'll try to help you out.

John

Yeah, generally the leaf colors are best mid/late Oct, but whether we get rain can affect that somewhat. I had a green 71 Chevelle (307ci)as my first car, not my favorite color but it was a fun car. A few of my friends also had Chevelles-one of them still has his: a 70 Chevelle convertible SS 454 clone - not a matching numbers car but I rarely see '70 'verts so I'm sure it's still worth a good amount and it's a beautiful car.

Back