Building an XS.. that isn’t a 650

Hamon2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So let me begin, I apologize.
I get this isn’t the proper place to discuss about the XS500, but it’s almost my only option, (as I’ve noticed after picking up the bike xs500s are almost the black sheep of the family and not particularly liked from my research and pretty much why I’m here posting as a every link I’ve found for a 500 forum seems non existent) my reasoning on posting here is pretty much learn and ask questions as I know both bikes share a lot of stuff, so here I am.

I’m building it, first time (obviously mechanically inclined) but I’ve always wanted to buy something like this and make it my own, get into riding and build more, so I pulled the trigger a couple months ago, and grabbed this XS500 chopper build that’s seen better days, granted I had no idea about the platform, and that was okay, as I want a challenge and I wanted something I could really build. If anyone has any knowledge or something I should know going into this please feel free to share as I want to listen!
AB29E0AC-858D-4C29-B37B-4DD2EA068AFC.png
37FB1753-C9FD-4C45-BB50-B6A3AB8696A2.png
First picture is how it once sat, the second picture is how I bought it, 600$.

Now that you’ve seen the bike, here’s my first couple of questions of many, now that I’m ready to jump into a full build (everything is torn down motor pulled out, ect.)

1. Where can I find parts, oem, and custom, and what can be used from the xs650 since they share similar structure?

2. That’s the only question really, as I explore and deep dive into this I’ll continue to add to this thread or post something else of that sort.
Honestly I hope I’m not stepping on any toes by posting something non xs650 as I’m really just trying to learn and ask questions. I also get there will be that one person that’ll tell me to sell it and just by a 650, but that isn’t the point, I WANT to build something that isn’t as popular, to me it makes it just a little bit more interesting. Thank you for reading, I look forward to any input!

Nice intro!!
I've got a BSA build thread here fer pete's sake. At least yours is a Yamaha.
About all I got for ya is most of the commonality 'tween the two was in the frame and frame bits. That's out the window on your build. Other than the carbs, I can't really think of anything on the engine that's common... :umm:
Will be looking forward to your updates anyway. Should be interesting.

Hmm. IIRC the TX/XS 500 DOHC shares very little (if anything, maybe carbs) in Common with the XS650; finding parts will be much more problematic, expecially aftermarket and reproduction items that are mostly non-existent

The year of the engine i important. Early, (pre 76), had head problems, they cracked around the exhaust outlet, That can be solved by using/getting a later 76-78 head. No experience just from what i have read/learned from posts made from owners.

Might find some nuggets of gold in here. An Aussie done a full resto to a 74 TX500
https://www.xs650.com/threads/aus-tx500-resto.33248/

A member on here has recently bought a 76 XS500C and loves it.

Hmm. IIRC the TX/XS 500 DOHC shares very little (if anything, maybe carbs) in Common with the XS650; finding parts will be much more problematic, expecially aftermarket and reproduction items that are mostly non-existent
Well that’s discouraging but there is always a way, I retract my statement then, as I had found this while researching a couple weeks ago digging deep from years past into the forums before I signed up and kind’ve felt a little at ease, looks like I’m back to a head scratching moment.
25A02890-FEFA-4DD7-AACE-0BFF20616FF5.jpeg

The year of the engine i important. Early, (pre 76), had head problems, they cracked around the exhaust outlet, That can be solved by using/getting a later 76-78 head. No experience just from what i have read/learned from posts made from owners.

Might find some nuggets of gold in here. An Aussie done a full resto to a 74 TX500
https://www.xs650.com/threads/aus-tx500-resto.33248/
76 according to the casting number if my research was right on that.
“1J3-101393”

So let me begin, I apologize.
I get this isn’t the proper place to discuss about the XS500, but it’s almost my only option, (as I’ve noticed after picking up the bike xs500s are almost the black sheep of the family and not particularly liked from my research and pretty much why I’m here posting as a every link I’ve found for a 500 forum seems non existent) my reasoning on posting here is pretty much learn and ask questions as I know both bikes share a lot of stuff, so here I am.

I’m building it, first time (obviously mechanically inclined) but I’ve always wanted to buy something like this and make it my own, get into riding and build more, so I pulled the trigger a couple months ago, and grabbed this XS500 chopper build that’s seen better days, granted I had no idea about the platform, and that was okay, as I want a challenge and I wanted something I could really build. If anyone has any knowledge or something I should know going into this please feel free to share as I want to listen!
View attachment 249413View attachment 249432First picture is how it once sat, the second picture is how I bought it, 600$.

Now that you’ve seen the bike, here’s my first couple of questions of many, now that I’m ready to jump into a full build (everything is torn down motor pulled out, ect.)

1. Where can I find parts, oem, and custom, and what can be used from the xs650 since they share similar structure?

2. That’s the only question really, as I explore and deep dive into this I’ll continue to add to this thread or post something else of that sort.
Honestly I hope I’m not stepping on any toes by posting something non xs650 as I’m really just trying to learn and ask questions. I also get there will be that one person that’ll tell me to sell it and just by a 650, but that isn’t the point, I WANT to build something that isn’t as popular, to me it makes it just a little bit more interesting. Thank you for reading, I look forward to any input!
You have controls, wheels, ect........... what are you really after that you were hoping to be able to use XS650 parts for.

An XS500, in proper tune is much smoother than an XS650; it's a 180 degree plain bearing crank with an additional counterbalance shaft, red-line rpm much higher too, but a very complex engine and rather hard to work on.......best of luck

Nice intro!!
I've got a BSA build thread here fer pete's sake. At least yours is a Yamaha.
About all I got for ya is most of the commonality 'tween the two was in the frame and frame bits. That's out the window on your build. Other than the carbs, I can't really think of anything on the engine that's common... :umm:
Will be looking forward to your updates anyway. Should be interesting.
I appreciate that! I should’ve worded my question better, what I was trying to really ask is stuff such as forks, calipers ect and different odds and ends work or if I can “modify” them some to work, as far as motor parts a lot of stuff I’ve found on eBay fairly easy, I know for a fact it’s going to need an entirely new bottom end and start from scratch as pulling it apart someone tried to be a mechanic but seemed to seriously come up short… (hair line crack in one spot, a gear set missing from timing, some bolts missing or to long or short some even broken off) but I haven’t cracked it open fully, so just by from what I’ve seen already, this is going to be a very extensive project.
But I’m here for it, with alot of beer, cussing, and some Alice In Chains thrown in the mix we can get this ole girl back goin eventually… oh and money we’re gonna need alot of it from what I can tell…

You have controls, wheels, ect........... what are you really after that you were hoping to be able to use XS650 parts for.
Wanna change out the front wheel to match the rear, I’d love a springer front end, electrical wise parts for if I find something that needs replacing as I put it together and such, calipers and so fourth, it’s just an honest question.

hair line crack in one spot,
On Yamaha's 70's and 80's engines there's a lot of casting lines/flaws that will make you swear there's a hairline crack there. Best way to tell I've found is a little fine sandpaper. If it starts to disappear, it's a casting flaw. A crack will remain.

Yes, Yamaha's XS500, not a very popular bike at all, lol. Over the years, I've stripped and scrapped 3 for parts. Two were given to me for free, the third I paid $25 for, lol. Here's the $25 one in all her glory .....

XS500-2.jpg

So yes, I'm pretty familiar with what parts will fit a 650, and as mentioned, it's not much. Nothing from the engine except nuts, bolts, and the female part of the clutch worm gear. The BS38 carbs won't fit as they are spaced differently, but they can be adapted with a bit of work. I did so with the set from the bike above .....

ReadyToMount.jpg

The wheels do not swap directly. Both 500 hubs are narrower so 650 wheels can't be fitted. 500 wheels could be adapted for 650 use and I have, in fact, done so with a 500 rear spoke wheel. It's on one of my 650s right now and seems to be working quite well. I did it so I could have a cush drive rear sprocket to ease the strain on the driveline .....

RrHubDone.jpg

TX500RearFinished.jpg

Installed.jpg

650 front discs and calipers will swap and are the same. But looking at your front wheel, I don't think it's even from a 500. The disc mounts with 6 bolts and your wheel appears to only have a 4 bolt mounting pattern? Also, your forks are assembled wrong, the legs swapped side to side. The caliper mounts should face the rear and the axle nut should be on the right side, axle clamp on the left.

Yes, Yamaha's XS500, not a very popular bike at all, lol. Over the years, I've stripped and scrapped 3 for parts. Two were given to me for free, the third I paid $25 for, lol. Here's the $25 one in all her glory .....

View attachment 249462

So yes, I'm pretty familiar with what parts will fit a 650, and as mentioned, it's not much. Nothing from the engine except nuts, bolts, and the female part of the clutch worm gear. The BS38 carbs won't fit as they are spaced differently, but they can be adapted with a bit of work. I did so with the set from the bike above .....

View attachment 249463

The wheels do not swap directly. Both 500 hubs are narrower so 650 wheels can't be fitted. 500 wheels could be adapted for 650 use and I have, in fact, done so with a 500 rear spoke wheel. It's on one of my 650s right now and seems to be working quite well. I did it so I could have a cush drive rear sprocket to ease the strain on the driveline .....

View attachment 249464

View attachment 249466

View attachment 249469

650 front discs and calipers will swap and are the same. But looking at your front wheel, I don't think it's even from a 500. The disc mounts with 6 bolts and your wheel appears to only have a 4 bolt mounting pattern? Also, your forks are assembled wrong, the legs swapped side to side. The caliper mounts should face the rear and the axle nut should be on the right side, axle clamp on the left.
Thank you for the info, and yes the front wheel and such were just thrown on to get on the trailer, no axle nut or anything, but that interesting. I have a correct axle and nut for that front wheel, and that might be the reasoning as to whoever first built it ran a rear braking setup only.

Back