New guy with questions, Just bought a Frame!

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, so for this up coming winter i wanted to have a fun project to work on. Something different from my usual ride (crotch rockets), I've spent the last couple of months looking up ideas and options. I finally settled on chopping a XS650, and just a few weeks ago bought a 72' frame.

This is definitely something new to me, so i was hoping you guys can help me out on a few questions.

A) The stretch, after looking at countless bikes, different designs and numerous opinions I've come to notice that the stretch of the frame plays a big role in how the bike looks. What i'm wondering is what determines the length of a stretch? Like when someone says "it has a 4'' stretch? is that how far past the usual length it is? or is that just how long it is?

B) The rake, so what I'm wondering what the stock angle of the xs650? the frame that i got was partially worked on, but wasn't finished. It has a 40degree rake, Would i be able to use the stock forks? or go longer/shorter? I'd actually really like to use spring forks for it.

C) Hard tail, now I'm contemplating on a tc bros hard tail, but i figure i figure out everything before i start buying everything else. My good friend who actually just chopped a xs650 last year (he helped me make the decision/with the project) took the swing arm, and welded it with the help of a few support bars. I don't think it looks bad at all (he removed some stuff like foot pegs), and when i first saw it i didn't even notice it. Has anyone done this before? looks like the wheel would be higher up than a aftermarket hard tail, but what I'm wondering most is what would the stretch be for this? looks pretty short?

D) The engine; I'm hunting down one right now. But when i find it, i would really like to clean it up rebuild it. For someone like me who has no experience in rebuilding engines, how difficult would it be? i would imagine its time consuming doing it for the first time, but would i be going over my head? or should i just take it to a pro shop and pay the $$ to have them do it?

E) Lastly, paint. I don't want to pay much for paint, since i'm going with just the basics/necessities for this bike. I was just thinking of a rattle-can job. Do you guys have any recommendations as to what brands/types to use? I'm aiming for matte black.

Thanks in advance everyone.

A- measured from seat tube to head. Stretch is how much is added to top tube.
B- stock is 27* this is the angle forward from verticle as the completed bike sets.
C-Stock swing arm hardtail no stretch. if the swing arm was lengthened then the extra is the stretch.
D-With a good manual, not counting possible shop time for cylinder boring, having everything you need, two days including removing and installing the engine. If you need valve work another day.
E- I don't paint so someone else will answer that.

Welcome! If someone has a hardtail and they talk about stretch, unless they specify what they're talking about, they usually mean how much further back the axle plates are than stock. If it's a custom frame, stretch could be in both the back end and back bone. If it looks mostly stock, then it's probably stretch in the swingarm.

On some custom frames they have a stretch in the front down tube as well. This is refered to as up. As in 4 out 2 up. The out moves the steering head forward, the up moves the head up.
Generally on the 650 the stretch is all in the rear of the bike.

Back