New Header Gasket Possibly cause smoke

drummerking55

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all. New to the forum and a new xs650 owner. A 1981 special 2 as the side cover says. Anyway bought it in pieces and got it all together within a few days cleaned carbs checked compression both cylinders around 150. Tightened the cam chain and the idle went from 1200 rpms to 3500 rpms. readjusted my idle and she started running pretty smooth. I also installed new exhaust that came with the bike all stock but looked pretty new. They came with new gaskets for the headers. As the bike came up to temp it started smoking outside the header white smoke not forced smoke almost like it was coming off the outside of the headers. At the same time this starts the mufflers start producing a similar smoke. does not smell like burning oil. could this be from the new gaskets? any help would be great thanks

Ok good hopefully that's all it is. Going to sync carbs tomorrow and put on the chain and maybe give her a ride around the block. Maybe snap a pick or 2 to put up here. I have found this site very helpful lots of good info. Hopefully my smoking issue is just the gaskets. It smells like something burning synthetic like not oil like. If the bike is running well is there Any chance that tightening the cam chain tensioner would cause timing to be to advanced and cause harm to the cylinders?

thats right bro, i tightened the cam chain tensioner cuz an annoying noise was in there, somewhere in the head i think, like clicking, ticking, i dont know, and yeeee, the noise dissapeared, everything right, idle ok, but then i take it for a ride and it runs pretty bad, like the timing is all wrong. Had to untight the tensioner back. Does it harm the cylinders? maybe, but it did harm my timing!

On a "new to you" bike I'd suggest checking the valve settings, 'specially when you adjusted the cam and saw the changes. .003 intake and .006 exhaust. Lots of uTube videos on valve adjustment.

Just remember.....adjust cam chain first and then adjust the valves and you should be good to go.

Back