New member from Michigan

JDS1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking at some of the great 650s on the web and pondering the idea of building one for myself. With my son getting close to finishing college I decided it was time to start a project for myself. I found a 73 650 on CL and bought it sight unseen for $100. When I picked it up I was happy to see it was in pretty good shape and all there. The wiring was messed up and it hadn't run in years but I like the idea of starting with a fresh engine so I tore everything down the same day I got it. The next day I took my frame to TC Brothers to be hardtailed. I have my engine on the bench for a rebuild and looking forward to the project. I'm not going to try to break any new ground with this bike but will borrow any ideas that I like from others and hopefully throw some of my own in as well as I go along. I do have a quick question for some of the engine builders here. I looked around for a big bore 750 kit but can only find them for 74 and up engines. I have my copy of clymers and hanes handy and was wondering if there was a complete rebuild big bore kit available or if there might be a handy list of parts available. When I tear into it I'd like to have everything on hand so I don't stall out for lack of parts. I'm going to be pretty aggressive with this and I'd like to have her on the road by next spring.

Thanks.....Ben

I just drove down and pick up my frame from TC Bros. Looking for neck bearing now. I'm in Brighton / Howell area. rawxs

I wish I had known you were heading that way, you could have picked up mine too....just kidding. I'm located over ib Durand, if I take the back roads I'm only 30 minutes from you. We get our bikes done we'll have to get them together for a ride.

Ben

ordered some neck bearings. found that the stem for a suzuki intruder vs1400 is damn close in length and is the same I.D. bearing size's to the xs650. from there I have a better choice of brake parts that stop you ( floating rotor, 4 or 6 piston calipers ) a factory 21" rim. it is a little wider than stock and the turning stops don't hit the frame stop, but i have most all the parts to make this happen. hope to remember to post picture's as i go.

Back