New spray gun.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A new spray gun arrived this afternoon, so as soon as I've finished scrubbing down the seat I'll try it out. Previously, I've always used cheapies, around $30, but this one is a star, not top notch but pretty good and ok for my requirements. $169 on ebay, way cheaper than an Iwata or Devilbis, but I can't justify that sort of expense.

The seat was done in acrylic lacquer and topped with 2k clear originally, but in trying to buff it to a mirror finished I wore through to the metal, so repainted it in 2k black and all these little spots appeared over the seat, looked like oil.

So I emptied the compressor tank and condenser, scrubbed the seat down and sprayed again - same thing. So, stripped the gun, cleaned it, emptied the tank and compressor again, cleaned the compressor filter and condenser filter, strained the paint - nope, same thing again.

So, I pulled the condenser apart, turned out a steel adapter for the output line had rusted and there were miniscule rust particles floating around inside the condenser.
I bought a new brass adapter, cleaned out the condenser and today I'm scrubbing the seat down again to rid it of those little spots. I'll respray either this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Hopefully, I've solved the problem because I'm dam sick out scrubbing the damn seat down, my elbow is now the size of a bloody football and damned sore.

Attachments

• WIN_20220919_12_24_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220919_12_24_19_Pro.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 101
Well there you go, it's not the gun, not the condenser, not the compressor, not the rust particles, it's the bloody paint. I cleaned the gun, loaded it with acrylic lacquer, no problems, loaded it with the 2k, same thing. Looks like oil to me, but the lid of paint, hardener, thinners has always been on when not in use, so no idea how the hell oil has got in there. I sprayed the frame and a few other bits a while back, came out beautiful, now I'm down to half a tin and suddenly get this. Beats the hell out of me.

Attachments

• WIN_20220919_14_19_13_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220919_14_19_13_Pro.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 82
  • WIN_20220919_14_16_46_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220919_14_16_46_Pro.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 100
  • WIN_20220919_14_15_28_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220919_14_15_28_Pro.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 92
Is it possible that there was still some solvent in the uncured lacquer that became trapped by the 2K (Urethane ?) and produced some "solvent pop"?

Carried home 2 spray guns from a thrift store $ 3 a piece
Looks identical bare one has brass knobs the other chrome

One of them is working with water at least -- one is marked 12 Bar that sounds high but the working one looked as spraying OK at 2 Bar
one is marked 2002 which can be the Year
Cannot see any brand name

The one not working has a to large diameter Nozzle the round part of the nozzle is to large 1 mm larger ----so the part with internal star does not go all the way in and is not Sealing for the pressure and sends it into the tank container -- Bubbling in there
The Nozzle thread fits in the gun.

I dont know anything about this so any info would be Appreciated Feel free come with experiences
Is these of a known manufacturer
Is these nozzles standard so it is possible to buy spares Somewhere ?
Perhaps a Gasket also is needed

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

As it turned out it was contaminated wax and grease remover. Whatever you do, when wiping down with wax and grease remover, do not wipe down then place the rag over the spout of container again and invert the container. Any wax or grease on the rag is transfered from the rag to the wax and grease remover.

Back