Newbie wanting advice carbs and ignition

staggers

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
G'day! Yep another Aussie haha.

This is my first post here and thought I'd ask a couple of Q's and say hi.

I picked up my first XS the other week for next to nothing price. it's an all original 1980 model complete minus the seat. It was a barn find and as they usually are haven't been started in I'd say 15yrs!!?? It still kicks over with good comp but has no spark.

I first stripped the carbies down for inspection and clean out and became very apparent this this old girl wasn't going to start anytime soon as you'd expect from a bike sitting around too long. all jets were blocked and a crap load of varnish sitting in the bowls, The diaphragms are pretty average as well and one of the floats has some very small pin size holes in it?
I already bought a carbie repair kit to rebuild them but now I'm thinking stuff this! I'm just going to buy a new pair of carbs!
I've read a lot of the posts on here about which carbs to get and seems a lot talk about the VM34-36.
I have a two stage plan for my bike in mind and would rather do things right 1st time than spending more later.
First stage is keep motor stock for now but have better after market carbs and ignition.
Second stage is what I suppose most of us dream about is a big bore 750 kit, 270 rephase, street cam and head work to suit. I do want it to keep it rideable and reliable as well. 70-75hp I'm hoping?
So with this in mind what carbies would work well with the obvious re-jetting and tunning to suit stage two would be the best option for me?
I also understand the ignition will have to be changed as well when rephrased to 270.

Pamco seems to get a lot of good write ups on here! I want to make the bike kick start only. I looked on mikexs at the kits available and there's quite few kits to suit the XS
could someone please point me in the right direction as to which kit to buy for a stock kick start only motor? cheers

I've attached a pic of what she looks like at this stage with all the crap off it :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20150830_123057_resized.jpg
    20150830_123057_resized.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 76
You need a copy of Craig Weeks' performance manual; follow the link at 650 Central. You probably won't believe me when I tell you that 70 bhp is near the upper limit for a full race motor that will hold together in longer events, but you might believe him. For a streetable ride you'd be well advised to revise your goal; you won't get there with a street cam anyway.

VM36 carbies will deliver marginally more power in the upper rpm range and marginally less down low--we're talking fractions of a hp. See the dyno charts in Craig's manual.

Back