No spark on right cylinder.

ExSquid

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay team, The SQUID is having a brain fart.I have no spark on the right cylinder. I ohmed out the coil with 2.5 M on the primary with the secondary ohmed out with 29.5k. Looking at diagrams I noticed that the red /whitestripe is positive to the coil Just like on a car. Please help.

Okay team, The SQUID is having a brain fart.I have no spark on the right cylinder. I ohmed out the coil with 2.5 M on the primary with the secondary ohmed out with 29.5k. Looking at diagrams I noticed that the red /whitestripe is positive to the coil Just like on a car. Please help.
Hey swabby. Long time no see. ;)
You didn't say what coil you're using, but somewhere around 2 to 5 Ω is what you should see on the primary. 2.5 M is 2 and a half million ohms... or basically an open circuit. That would be bad...

The manual calls for 3.9 ohms on the primary and 8k on the secondary. If your primary is showing 2.5 megohms, well, there's your problem.

Attachments

• coil tsing.png
    coil tsing.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 39
Hey swabby. Long time no see. ;)
You didn't say what coil you're using, but somewhere around 2 to 5 Ω is what you should see on the primary. 2.5 M is 2 and a half million ohms... or basically an open circuit. That would be bad...
Jimmy! I have a stock coil.

The manual calls for 3.9 ohms on the primary and 8k on the secondary. If your primary is showing 2.5 megohms, well, there's your problem.
I was looking at Mike's and they show coils at 3 ohms I also remember that ohms are a measure of resistance. Which you do not want.

I was looking at Mike's and they show coils at 3 ohms I also remember that ohms are a measure of resistance. Which you do not want.
You are measuring the copper windings inside the coil, and you DO want the resistances shown in the manual. 2.5 megohms tells me the primary winding is open internally. The desired resistances tell us that there are roughly 2000 turns on the secondary for every single turn on the primary. 12v on the primary will induce 24,000 volts on the secondary (actually more, since the primary has inductance) thus producing enough voltage to jump the spark plug gap.

You are measuring the copper windings inside the coil, and you DO want the resistances shown in the manual. 2.5 megohms tells me the primary winding is open internally. The desired resistances tell us that there are roughly 2000 turns on the secondary for every single turn on the primary. 12v on the primary will induce 24,000 volts on the secondary (actually more, since the primary has inductance) thus producing enough voltage to jump the spark plug gap.
Thank you Brother!

Back