no spark

TPR

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post and my first bike restoration/recommissioning attempt.

My 1980 special has been laid up for about 30 years and is actually pretty good all things considered.

I am trying to get it running, but being a newbie with old bikes (I have restored cars) I am looking for a few pointers as to what the problem could be please.

I have cleaned the points, replaced the coils and there is no spark at the points so I am what is could be at fault?
Many thanks

Hello, TPR, welcome to the madhouse. You have definitely come to the right place for help with your XS - there are people here who know these bikes inside and out. Talk us through the problem. Have you fitted a new battery? I thought 1980s bikes had TCI ignition instead of points? My suggestion would be, put up some photos of your bike - the whole bike, the alternator (under the l/h engine cover) and the points.

Out of interest, whereabouts are you based? And what would you like us to call you?

You will get it fixed and have the bike running soon, cheers, Raymond

I am trying to get it running, but being a newbie with old bikes (I have restored cars) I am looking for a few pointers as to what the problem could be please.

I have cleaned the points, replaced the coils and there is no spark at the points so I am what is could be at fault?
Many thanks
With a voltmeter, see if you're getting 12VDC at the R/W wire at coil+. Then with key off and an Ohmmeter, see if you have continuity to ground with points closed and no continuity to ground with points open......

Hello, TPR, welcome to the madhouse. You have definitely come to the right place for help with your XS - there are people here who know these bikes inside and out. Talk us through the problem. Have you fitted a new battery? I thought 1980s bikes had TCI ignition instead of points? My suggestion would be, put up some photos of your bike - the whole bike, the alternator (under the l/h engine cover) and the points.

Out of interest, whereabouts are you based? And what would you like us to call you?

Hello Raymond
Yes, it looks like great here!
I have fitted a new battery, it has points. I am in the UK and call me Tony. It is on a "T"plate which is not 1980, but I was matching the year to VIN number so I might have gotten it wrong as there is no TCI module that I can see.
I will post some pics soon.
With a voltmeter, see if you're getting 12VDC at the R/W wire at coil+. Then with key off and an Ohmmeter, see if you have continuity to ground with points closed and no continuity to ground with points open......
Thanks, I will give that a try

Just done that and it seems like there is continuity with them open or closed. I have 11.9 volts from one coil and 9 from the other. 11.9 volts are getting to the points but they are not sparking despite being cleaned.

f563c6f8-0038-4a58-94d4-c77a4568a363.jpg
57adeb5c-090e-4e17-a657-42d224a3a469.jpg

Hello again

a bit of an update. I have cleaned up all the connectors and have been going over it with a meter. I am getting 11.9 volts from the left hand coil and about 9 from the left- both are new coils. The (cleaned) points are getting 11.9 volts and are not sparking. As suggested by jpdevol, I did a continuity check on the points and they are showing continuity wether they be open or closed.... I earthed them both inside the distributor and also to the frame.

The points wire must be isolated from the points base plate so it's not grounded with points open:

Attachments

• 1696676101181.png
    1696676101181.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 43
Back