NOS Redwing shocks...

Will they perform like a modern hagon or progressive? No. Will they work well and look awesome? Yes. The rest is up for you to decide.

We never dealt with Redwing, can't say. But the bottom looks a bit large in diameter. Somewhere in this forum was a thread about clearance issues with larger shocks and (maybe) the chainguard? They may be nice, but if they're 35 years old, I wonder the condition of the seals, and the precharge (if any)...

Eric, I looked at your post/pic from 10-2012. Notice the close clearance to the sprocket, and the shocks have the adjuster halfway up the body to clear the chain. The shocks you last referenced have the adjuster at the bottom. Will it clear?

Good question ... I'm not 100 percent. I think I am going to give the redwings a shot.... Along with the brass petcocks : )... Updates shall follow.

The Progressive shocks interfere with the chain guard slightly. The shock pushes it over enough to cause tire rubbing if you aren't careful.

The Redwing shock assemblies don't have any list spring rates. How do you know they'll be correct for you? The last Progressive assemblies I bought, I ordered with heavy duty springs. They weren't heavy enough for me. I had to spend another $100 for another pair of springs. My inclination would be to try 650Central if Progressive shocks are what I want. I would expect he can at least match you to the correct springs for your needs. Perhaps you can get the same service from a place like Hagon.

The eBay Redwings might be great, but would be too much a crap shoot for me.

I have Progressive shqcks with no interference. They have a slight offsrt and you must mount to counter act this or they will rub.

Re. interference, it depends on which Progressive shocks you're looking at. The Series 12 gas shocks are fat and will interfere with the chain guard, but a little grinding and a touch or two with the BFH will cure that. The Series 14 oil damped shocks should present no problems. Marty, thanks for the link to Hagon--those are a lot of bang for the buck!

Re. interference, it depends on which Progressive shocks you're looking at. The Series 12 gas shocks are fat and will interfere with the chain guard, but a little grinding and a touch or two with the BFH will cure that. The Series 14 oil damped shocks should present no problems. Marty, thanks for the link to Hagon--those are a lot of bang for the buck!

Yes, I have Series 12 on my bike. I'm OK with a minor BFH adjustment.

Speaking of bang for the buck, RaceTech's Matt Wiley told me to have look at YSS shocks.

YSSUSA.com I have not tried these.

I know you have the picture, Marty, but for those who may not, apply grinder and BFH to the chain guard, not the shock. Yeah, those YSS shocks look good. I haven't used them either, but a recommendation from Paul Thede's people carries a lot of weight!

I had this discussion with Matt Wiley after his RaceTech seminar at the Barber Vintage Fest. Matt understands that most of us won't put $1500 shocks on a $1500 bike. RaceTech has only the high dollar shocks. Matt is making a recommendation of a product his company doesn't sell. Therefore, I got what I consider the unbiased opinion of a real expert.
MW09_rideGear.JPG

Matt Wiley

Back