oil in exhaust...damage from riding?

KUSHLIFE

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
got an 81 that is spitting a bit of oil in exhaust...think it's prob the oil rings. anyone know if it's ok or not to keep riding until can fix? short rides, longs rides ok. cleaned valves up a bit thru exhaust, compression is 115 and 120. want to do the run tot he hills which looks like about 60miles a day and we're about 90 away, but also don't want to blow the motor up and be stranded either. any thoughts, ideas. seems to have been doing ok riding locally but just wondering about longer rides.

thanks-

It's not going to get better, and once it starts, it won't progress at a nice easy pace. The motor is telling you it is broke, and needs attention, if you ignore it, it will speak louder, and may be all pissy about it and do it on the side of a mountain in BFE and cause you pain and suffering.
My 2 pennies worth.

Somethings not right here and requires further investigation. Rough stab at it would be, due to the compression readings, you have a goosed piston ring(s)
Personally, I would pop the head off and fix it straight away, whilst scoping out the other internals - might take a day??
I'd rather do that than terminally goose on a ride out

thanks fellas. i know the right answer in my head but was wondering other thoughts...my luck it would be pissy on the side of the mountain since that where i live at 9600ft above sea level. very good to know that it prob wont take long. great fab guy and painter but learning motors and mechanical side of these fun toys. need to just suck it up and get it done before it gets even worse. cheers

Good time for that upgrade you wanted, like a 750 kit, you won't regret it. I love mine, and will never build another with out the kit.
Leo

I think you probably forgot to hold the throttle open when you took the compression readings? Sounds like the numbers you get if you do it with the throttle closed. If so things are probably not nearly so bad as you're making us think ;)

Mine did the same thing, decided on day 2 after there was a small puddle on the floor leaking from the exhaust to pull the engine. Been waiting on the shop for a month now to regrind and lap my valves and ports.....getting pretty frustrated right about now haha.

I think you probably forgot to hold the throttle open when you took the compression readings? Sounds like the numbers you get if you do it with the throttle closed. If so things are probably not nearly so bad as you're making us think ;)
good point...i know i had mine open when i did my tests but cant remember now if i had hers open when i did her tests...it's my gf's bike i'm trying to fix. although...my 3's were both about 120...is that not very good? my bike seems to run great, dialed in right carb and now even no backfiring....

Back