oil leak help

globalmaa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so fixed clutch cable issue now next prob is i have oil leaking out of the points cover on my 78. i just replaced the cam chain and everything was fine before but now it is leaking. any idea???

Posted via Mobile

It could be the labyrinth seal behind the points. Mine weeps ever so slightly, but not enough to go there just yet. However, I think there is an article here on seal replacement, possibly in the Tech Section up top.

TC

globalmaa;

As you see in my picture, there is a gasket, an O-ring, and an oil seal. When you replaced the camchain did you replace any of these? If those parts are old, they may need to be replaced.

Its important that the camshaft is centred in the engine, and its also imporatnt that the camshaft bearings were placed fully inward toward the centre of the engine.

You should measure both ends of the camshaft that protrude past the bearings. You want to have an equal amount on both ends.

You could remove the housing and polish up the surface of the camshaft, so that the oil seal lips have a nice clean surface to mate with.

Attachments

• Camshaft Oil seal and O ring.JPG
    Camshaft Oil seal and O ring.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 129
well there was only 400km on the motor before the cam chain link snapped and had to be replaced. When i tried to put the points side cover on the bearings were sitting a little out and the cover wouldn't sit right so it was tapped in to make fit. could it be possible that the bearings aren't sitting proper and cause the oil leak??

Posted via Mobile

well i think i got lucky, pulled everything off and it look like the little round spring that sits on the seal wasn't on all the way. cleaned everything up, put it back and ran bike for 5 mins no leak. last thing need to find out why popping through exhaust on right side maybe new plugs or i swap out the old carb manifolds for a set of non vacuum kind maybe right side is bad. i'll try new plugs and putting old mainfolds with barbs on vacuum line. bike ran great before i replaced the link.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• IMG00386-20110803-1833.jpg
    IMG00386-20110803-1833.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG00387-20110803-1833.jpg
    IMG00387-20110803-1833.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG00388-20110803-1834.jpg
    IMG00388-20110803-1834.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited: