OK to strip the powder coat on the engine cases

Angry Rabbit

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys-I've got an 83' Special that came with the black powder coated engine cases. The powder coat looks like crap and I'm thinking about having it redone next time the engine is apart. Here's my question-how do I get old powder coat off? Can I simply bead blast it (or better yet, soda blast it)? Any advise would be appreciated. thanks, Cranky Bunny:confused:

Is it really powder coated or is it the factory engine paint, the 83 Specials came with a black engine. The stock paint is very tough, soda will not remove it. The best procedure seems to be to use an aggressive media to remove the paint and then some fine or medium glass beads to get a nice satin finish.

You can not easily blast power coat off, Even with rough sand. They do sell strippers for it but its not fun... When I worked in a powder coating shop it was usually solvent stripping or burning it off

I looked at the engine again and the coating on the cases looks like powder coating. It's very thick and it doesn't seem to react with paint thinner at all (I've tested it on spots on the bottom of the engine.) I'll try glass beads on it next time I have the engine apart and I have the time to seal up all the necessary areas completely. thanks again, CB

Back