Old tires

On my ‘95 Honda Shadow (that just returned to the road yesterday), the tires had less than 2,000 miles and showed no visible signs of age. When I jammed my fingernail into the tread, the rubber was quite soft. I felt bad removing them and throwing them out, but for the price of new ones it wasn’t worth the risk. I kept costs down by swapping and balancing them myself. If I had kept them and had one mishap, I’d never forgive myself.
I don't know if it holds true for bias-ply tires, but I've had 3 radials on my F-350 have belt separation. They didn't have a lot of miles on them and had never been abused, but... they were getting old. Not worth the risk.

I don't know if it holds true for bias-ply tires, but I've had 3 radials on my F-350 have belt separation. They didn't have a lot of miles on them and had never been abused, but... they were getting old. Not worth the risk.
This is gonna be an expensive thread. Bought Bill a 2005 Vette for his BD 2 years ago (Well, OK, talked him into it -- like that was hard -- and made the downpayment). He occasionally takes it into his head to try to find it's top end. From a standstill. I keep reminding him old necks are fragile and whiplash is real. Sharing this thread with him today has us deciding it's time to check the codes on its tires... CarFax report when we bought it showed new tires in there somewhere, but I don't remember how long ago. Or where I put the printout of the CarFax report. Or what I fixed for breakfast...

Wait. Yes I do. Bacon. Coffee and bacon, with bacon on the side. Hey. It's low carb. :D

This is gonna be an expensive thread. Bought Bill a 2005 Vette for his BD 2 years ago (Well, OK, talked him into it -- like that was hard -- and made the downpayment). He occasionally takes it into his head to try to find it's top end. From a standstill. I keep reminding him old necks are fragile and whiplash is real. Sharing this thread with him today has us deciding it's time to check the codes on its tires... CarFax report when we bought it showed new tires in there somewhere, but I don't remember how long ago. Or where I put the printout of the CarFax report. Or what I fixed for breakfast...

Wait. Yes I do. Bacon. Coffee and bacon, with bacon on the side. Hey. It's low carb. :D
Not nearly as expensive as the deductible(s) on your insurance or a funeral.

Last edited:
Had a "new"12 year old tire unmounted and stored indoors,
it looked fine.
Put it on my bike it was good for a year then the sidewalls all
checked on me.

Back