One year anniversary!

tzimmerm

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Me the day I bought the bike- title in hand and a shit eatin grin!
4BDD9AA4-D900-45A9-AA1F-F043E11337A9.jpeg

Here she is the way I first laid eyes on her-
296E9495-F93D-427A-A0CC-EB92210CEBF6.jpeg

And here she is now, after all the love and care I’ve given her-
8551E9AB-D330-4F9C-86E9-28EE7465F6EC.jpeg

I’ve been excited all week about making this post- Today marks one year since I bought this bike, and boy has it changed my life. I have learned so much about xs650’s and bikes in general. I bought the bike and had to wait a week for the PO to ride it over to my place because I didn't know how to ride yet. I slowly rode around in 1st and 2nd gear through the trailer court down the street in the weeks leading up to the MSF course. The bike seemed so huge and heavy then! I have replaced seals, gaskets, tires, ignition systems, rebuilt the brake caliper, made a cable, rebuilt and hand polished the forks, learned to adjust tappets and set timing, and put down something over 3,000 miles of riding last summer. I rode to my first moto event on the bike last year (The J&P cycles vintage bike rally in anamosa), and I’ve kept in touch with the PO throughout the year, whose wife just invited me to his surprise 70th birthday party two days ago. My neighbors have helped me when I need an extra hand (Or body on the seat when adjusting chain tension) and the bike gets lots of love everywhere it goes. I’m looking forward to another season of riding, and (hopefully less) wrenching. My tentative plan is to nurse one more summer out of her, and then do a top end next winter, and probably address the last needed frame upgrades, (swing-arm bushings and steering neck bearing and new shocks.) I wouldn't have had a chance at the success I’ve enjoyed with learning if it wasnt for this Forum and all the wonderful people in it. Thank you everybody for all the support, encouragement, and invaluable wisdom you’ve provided me in my journey. This forum has been as much a part of my experience with the bike as anything else. Here’s to another great year for our shared love of these awesome bikes, and two wheeled machines in general! :cheers:
:bike::bike::bike:

Attachments

• 1A06A33A-ECD6-4BD2-A130-7730390EDBE4.jpeg
    1A06A33A-ECD6-4BD2-A130-7730390EDBE4.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Congrats tzimmerm,

Not so hard is it.........Says a lot about your personal development, learning abilities. Wasn't so long ago you were ready to sell it to help fund a house......Bet your glad that fell through now..........

Nice to get feed back and know the help has been appreciated..........Now don't sell the bike..........EVER:laugh:

..Now don't sell the bike..
Yes, I second that emotion.

If you keep it, when you're my age, you will look back and realise it was one of the best decisions you ever made.

If you need cash along the way, you can sell sell you shoes, your coat, your iphone, your cat, even your little brother. Just don't sell the XS. In fact, you could start a GoFundMe campaign right here at the Forum. We'll help you get through hard times.

Yes, I second that emotion.

If you keep it, when you're my age, you will look back and realise it was one of the best decisions you ever made.

If you need cash along the way, you can sell sell you shoes, your coat, your iphone, your cat, even your little brother. Just don't sell the XS. In fact, you could start a GoFundMe campaign right here at the Forum. We'll help you get through hard times.
LOL :laugh2: Oh, I should have my girlfriend read through this thread. Not that I expect it to change her mind, but so that she understands that the value of a motorcycle CAN in fact rival that of a cat. We had this debate a few months back; she’s a cat lady. I do love both her cats though, those crazy little shitrats.

LOL :laugh2: Oh, I should have my girlfriend read through this thread. Not that I expect it to change her mind, but so that she understands that the value of a motorcycle CAN in fact rival that of a cat. We had this debate a few months back; she’s a cat lady. I do love both her cats though, those crazy little shitrats.
Ah, women and their cats.
T_yzVWIIm9-sEkd63fCtpMiw6lrtTPnXqw2EBWwZC9H0s2KZYL.jpg

Often inseparable.

But you'll notice that I didn't suggest selling off your girlfriend. My biggest life regrets have been kicking numerous women off the passenger seat along the way. A Good Woman is worth her weight in gold.

TZ, congratulions on your first full year. I remember very well when you first came on the site, full of questions and anticipation. It’s been a pleasure watching you take care of your bike and learn along the way. Keep it up big guy!
This may have been your first bike, but I’ll venture it won’t be your last, and trust the other guys, always keep this bike, you’ll regret it if you ever sell it.
Bob

You have one of the most desirable model years of the XS series. Many of the members on this forum remember and regret the lost of their first bike... for a myriad of reasons... mostly life... keep'n the bank happy for the roof... kids shoes...
You may lose the " s-eat'n grin "... something new and shiny comes along and.. we'll all been there..
make this a keeper… even if you have to put it aside for a long term....

Back