Owwwww...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Time for new shoes for the FJ.

Michelin Pilot Road 4's, 120/70 ZR17 front, 180/55 ZR17 rear.

Take a guess at the out-the-door price (buy, mount, balance, install, disposal, sales tax).

I put a new Conti Go on the back of my XS2 a few months ago. Carried the wheel into the shop.
$120 for the tire, $20 to mount and balance and $9 for the tube. Didn't pay disposal, took the old tire home cut into 4 pieces and into the trash.

Had a bitch of a time getting a new 17" tyre onto a rim today, to the extent I was worried about busting the bead.
That was using my standard tyre tooling, which normally makes it easier.
I know it's not me or my technique, as just a few days ago I had no trouble installing a front.

Had a bitch of a time getting a new 17" tyre onto a rim today, to the extent I was worried about busting the bead.
I know it's not me or my technique, as just a few days ago I had no trouble installing a front.
They do vary don't they? You have my sympathy. After run of 5 or 6 tires that went easy peasy,
Just got the rear mounted for the Honda after the previous tube, correct for the previous 4.50x17 tire got in the way with the new 110/90/17 IRC and I pincushioned it. With the now correct tube it went well.
I also believe strongly in Ru-glyde. Keep and use a spritzer bottle of it at the tire machine. (An ancient Coats 200 manual unit)
I have much easier time of it when the tires both old and new have been in the sun and are at 100F or above.
In the winter they sit in front of the wood stove for an hour and I wrestle with them on the floor with irons.

1. Blurple mag rims - me, tire spoons and those rims would NOT end well.

2. My 16 year old right wrist - Triple digit speeds and Shinko compounds do not instill confidence, even assuming Shinko offers a ZR rated tire.

I decided to do my own installation on my Suzuki V-Strom, bought all the tire irons and rim protectors, balancing stand etc.
There is a big difference in sidewall stiffness between tube type tires and modern sport tires. They were SO hard to install. Even using rim protectors I managed to nick up the aluminum rims. I had a tire iron slip off while I was putting maximum pressure on it and I smashed the hell out of my knuckles. I finally got it on and was standing there covered in sweat with my heart pounding. That’s when I noticed the little arrow on the sidewall that shows directional rotation was facing the wrong way. :doh: So I got to do it all over again.

By comparison, the Dunlop K70’s going onto my chrome rims went on like butter baby! :) Didn’t even work up a sweat.

Last edited:
I don't ALWAYS use Shinkos.
20210625_205048.jpg
This 98 Bridgestone didn't age well.
20210625_205212.jpg

Hi Grimly,
my technique is to throw money at the problem.
Take wheel to bike shop. Give them money. Have them supply & swap the tire.

Rode the bike up to the guy today and had the new sneakers installed.

Great guy, owns Gardner Racing Concepts . If you like Hotrod Harleys, you've probably heard of him. Builds drag engines and ships them all over the country and even to Australia. Comes off like just another biker, chatted with me the whole time they were changing the tires.

I had him do a couple of 650 jugs for me a few years back, treated me REAL well compared to what he charges for a racing engine.

I know what you're doing and why. Still the Amazombies have road 2's for $219.
I have access to a spin balance for please and thank you so that makes it easy.
There will come a time when I just don't want to or can't (perish the thought!) do my own.
It really is tough finding a Mech these days that will just do the new wheel bearings because they're needed and put it on the bill.
The last tires I did for an actual customer were on a shaft drive. The splines needed to be completely cleaned and re-lubed , there wasn't a bearing or seal , front or rear that didn't get replaced. I don't have any idea what had gone on before but the front wheel inner spacer was so short that the bearings were so side loaded they nearly bound up.
I disconnected the rear shocks to make R&R easier and the swing arm bearings were grunchy but a cleaning and re-lube save them.
Typical , the brakes were paper thin front and back.

It's even harder to find great customers. This one listened to all the ills I had caught and repaired and without a question paid the bill and said Thank You.

I am so glad you found a good one.

Back