Painting wire wheels?

Shickey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering painting my wire wheels flat black. Anyone do this without disassembling spokes? Anyone try plasti dip on the wire wheels? Is this even possible!

People do it all the time, but it's not durable, and pretty much, IMHO, looks like someone didn't give enough of a crap to take any time with the bike.:shrug:
It CAN be done, but I wouldn't advise it. Plasti-dip is not durable enough for a wheel either, plus it adds weight, and could create balance issues, and either "finish" (non-finish?) is going to get wrecked to hell changing a tire.

My wheels were painted by the PO. They look okay and seem to be holding up pretty well. That said, if I had it to do over and really wanted them black, disassembly and powdercoat would be ideal. But, if you're looking for an easy fix in the meantime painting will give you the look with a minimum or effort.

You can try and paint them yourself. Which me and my shop mate did to his.. 1) yes you must disassemble the entire wheel and clean it. 2) after you've disassembled, prepped, primed, painted and then the paint flakes off you'll just get them powder coated. Im in the same situation right now. I like the all black look (rim + spokes) but im worried that having someone powder coat the spokes is going to cost more than I want to spend.

I caved and went the plasti dip route. Turned out very well and cost me under $20. I'll touch it up when I eventually have to change tires but who cares. Love it!
2192-4A89-8AC9-A7F7A103309C-11289-0000082249C59E3C.jpg

65AD-4FAE-B067-86C7F86B400B-11289-0000082233507888.jpg

Back