Pamco advance rod

BartBuddy28

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello folks..been a looong time since ive been on here..mainly because my bike just refuses to charge its battery....soo after about 3 years i finally saved up enough money to buy the ultimate PMA/Pamco kit from mike's xs to convert my 81 xs650 over to the new PMA instead of the stock alternator set-up...so problem number 1, my kit, although it advertised that it came with detailed instructions, did not come with any instructions at all, so i had to install the PMA part blind...i think i did ok.....problem number to, i am attempting to install the advance rod/mechanical advance set-up into the camshaft...i have tightened the two nuts on either side of the advance rod, and now the rod does not move on its own, the camshaft still spins but im afraid to put together everything an fire up the bike and blow something up, so did i do something wrong? Im a car mechanic not a bike mechanic, but basic physics tell me that the rod should move independently of the camshaft but maybe im mistaken...problem number 3, i have no clue as to how to wire up said pamco set up as all the instructions i can find on the net say to connect red wire from the pamco to a terminal on the supplied coil, and the green wire to the opposite terminal, or the red wire to the red/white wire on my existing coil...however the red/white wire is in a plug, so does this mean i have to remove the red/white wire from the plug, and connect that wire to the red wire from the pamco, and then connect to the new coil? Problem number 4, i can't seem to find a way to attach the supplied coil from the kit to my bike because where the plug wires attach to the coil itself will interfere with either my gas tank, or my motor mount so how the hell do i use my favtory coil, or the kit coil. Problem number 5, how do i hook uo the kit supplied voltage regulator because i can only use 1 of the 2 plugs on it...and problem number 6, why are there so many unsed plugs around the air filter section of the bike? Do i eliminate them? And how do i connect all this to my battery as none of these wire for any of the parts have battery connections...sorry if anyone is confused or lost, but again im a car mechanic not a bike mechanic, and i cannot afford another 1,000 dollar bill from a bike shop for installation...p.s. i am installing all this stuff to eliminate my stock charging system that i have also spent over 1,000 dollars to have repaired only to be left stranded multiple times....pleae anyone help if you can follow how lost i am

Overwhelming number of questions, but maybe I can help with a couple. Problem #2: This used to be a common problem with the MikesXS advance rod, and I guess they never fixed it. The shoulders on the ends of the rod are too close together. You need to find or make a tiny, thin washer that will fit over one of the threaded rod ends and butt up against the shoulder. Then, when you tighten the two nuts on either end the rod should move independently of the camshaft. Washer should be thin, you don't want too much play.
Problem #1: Have you looked for an instruction download on the MikesXS site, or on the Pamco site? If there is none, can you get them to send you the instructions? Will answer a lot of your other questions.

The instructions are on the page of the part that is being bought............Screen shot of a Pamco system with a MikesXS Advance rod. Instructions at the bottom of the Details write up. You have to click on the link where it says........Installation instructions
Pamco ignition.png

.........mikes XS sells an Advance rod for the XS650 Motor..............NOT a Pamco Advance rod, It can be used with a Pamco or i should say, the Pamco was designed to be used on an XS650 Advance rod in place of the points plate............Pamco Pete sells a rod, that is especially made for him to be used with his Pamco on engines that used the Factory TCI ignitions, these engines did not have an advance rod.

PMA instructions are also on MikesXS site, and again that will be in the same place as the Pamco instructions are placed, when linking to the said part.............I rechecked and on MikesXS site there is a link ............Instructions............ This link is at the top of the page. For all instillation instructions including the PMA.............It is misleading when it come to the Pamco instructions from the "Top bar Instructions link", because it is under, "Standard Ignition for the XS650"

For more Pamco information, troubleshooting, installation and other queries go to the Tech Menu, Electrical and look for the Pamco thread link

Last edited:
Back