Starter button wring help

Dxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
im wiring up my xs650 with huges PMA and all I have left to wire up is the starter button to the starter solenoid and then i will attempt to start the motor. I’m using the original starter solenoid that comes with the bike but im using an aftermarket starter Button. So i have a red wire and black wire coming from the button and the push button itself grounds to the handlebars. So i guess my question is how do i connect the starter button to the starter solenoid since the starter button already grounds to the handlebars. Where do i connect the black wire from the button to?? The red wire from the starter button ill connect to the red/white wire coming from the solenoid. So since the button already is grounded do i connect the black wire from the button to the blue/white wire off the solenoid ????? maybe im just over thinking it. Any advice is appreciated in advance.

Current flow is as follows...

R/W at the solenoid connects to battery power from either the key or kill switch... depending on what you're using.
B/W at the solenoid is the ground wire that energizes the solenoid. Run that to the red wire on the starter switch.
Ground the black wire to the handlebars.

Note: Make sure the handlebars are actually grounded.... they (the risers) sit in rubber vibration dampers and aren't actually grounded by themselves.

Also... if the new starter button housing is metal, use a meter to verify neither wire is grounded to the housing. In a two wire pushbutton, neither should be.

All this assumes you're not using the starter safety relay. Are you?

Also... if the new starter button housing is metal, use a meter to verify neither wire is grounded to the housing. In a two wire pushbutton, neither should be.

All this assumes you're not using the starter safety relay. Are you?
thansk for the advice. Ok so heres my thing …. I’m wiring up the bike very oddly. Im not wiring a kill switch. Only a 3 position key switch.. off, accessories and then to the relay. I have a spot open on my fuse box. Should i just wire it up to that ?? So with the key. The first position turns on the 4 blade fuse box. The fuse box is powering the relay which poweers the coil, headlight, taillight and the 4th spot is empty. Then when the key switch is turned all the way it powers the regulator/rectifier. So maybe that 4th spot on the fuse box for the starter button. No horn by the way. I just rev the crap out of it when i need to beep lol

thansk for the advice. Ok so heres my thing …. I’m wiring up the bike very oddly. Im not wiring a kill switch. Only a 3 position key switch.. off, accessories and then to the relay. I have a spot open on my fuse box. Should i just wire it up to that ?? So with the key. The first position turns on the 4 blade fuse box. The fuse box is powering the relay which poweers the coil, headlight, taillight and the 4th spot is empty. Then when the key switch is turned all the way it powers the regulator/rectifier. So maybe that 4th spot on the fuse box for the starter button. No horn by the way. I just rev the crap out of it when i need to beep lol
Without seeing the diagram you're going by, I can't really answer any of that.
You need power on the R/W wire to the solenoid. It needs to be switched so the starter doesn't work with the key off. Beyond that, I can't say.

Back