PAMCO ISSUES

All of those functions are available in the Motorola MC33094 chip or equivalent. Sounds like you are quoting from the tech sheet! Next, give me an estimate of the cost to implement that chip and its associated discrete components and why you think it is necessary or would be beneficial for the target market, the XS650? The product already has a 16 bit MCU, so just an estimate of the added cost and selling price above the $189.95 of the existing product.

:D Wasn't thinking of any specific mp, but that one would work! The rest of that is your job! :laugh: The benefit is that it would prevent coil failure if the key is left on. I don't how many units you move annually, which was why I only suggested it might be worth looking at. But, I'm guessing if it impacted the price by roughly $20, most folks wouldn't protest. Thanks for entertaining/tolerating my ramblings!

How's this for ironic ! I go to start my bike today , turn the key on everything lights up like normal , turn the kill switch on , lights on the dash go very dim , hit the starter and it turns once and dies . I check the fuse ,( had a 20 amp in there plus a spare ) it was blown . Put the spare in, it blew as soon as I turned the kill switch on . Go try to find fuses , could only get 30 amp, put one in ,turn switch on ,see smoke come out from under the tank , turn switch off and remove tank . See that mice had chewed into my plug wire on the left side as well as into the grey wire case that has the green, red and black wire from my Pamco to the coil.

Now I am not sure if I wrecked the coil when I powered it up with the 30 amp fuse in it or if I can splice/solder the wires from the ignition to the coil or should I just get a new one ( Pamco) ? I know I need a new plug wire , it was chewed right down and I may have wrecked the Pamco when I tried to start the bike .

I got working on my wire chewing mouse problem and decided to try the XS Direct site again ( really don't want to switch back to points either) . Like I said before, they had no Pamco kits , but they did have all the bits that go into a kit in stock , go figure . I ended up paying more and getting less .

Scrambled,

I don't see why the mice necessarily fried the PAMCO. They may have shorted out the wires in the grey sheath, but if you just cut it, strip it and rejoin the wires it should be OK.

If that doesn't work, just PM your address and I'll send you a new plate. This will make a great story about warranty experiences! :laugh:

It might even be better than the customer that just got his new PAMCO from the postman and set the box down in his driveway and forgot about it and later backed his truck over it! :doh:

Scrambled,

I don't see why the mice necessarily fried the PAMCO. They may have shorted out the wires in the grey sheath, but if you just cut it, strip it and rejoin the wires it should be OK.

If that doesn't work, just PM your address and I'll send you a new plate. This will make a great story about warranty experiences! :laugh:

It might even be better than the customer that just got his new PAMCO from the postman and set the box down in his driveway and forgot about it and later backed his truck over it! :doh:
Thanks Pete , I will give it a shot in the morning , but I think it might be toast . The mouse had stripped the insulation off about 4" of the plug wire , bare metal touching the head , had stripped the insulation off 6 inches of the wires in the grey sheath and one of the ground wires . I think when I first turned the engine over it may have damaged the coil , and when I put the 30 amp fuse in it ( I know I shouldn't have done that ) melted most of the wire in the grey sheath .

Thanks Pete , I will give it a shot in the morning , but I think it might be toast . The mouse had stripped the insulation off about 4" of the plug wire , bare metal touching the head , had stripped the insulation off 6 inches of the wires in the grey sheath and one of the ground wires . I think when I first turned the engine over it may have damaged the coil , and when I put the 30 amp fuse in it ( I know I shouldn't have done that ) melted most of the wire in the grey sheath .
OK , time for an update on my mouse chewed wiring . My Pamco ignition was not damaged, splicing new wires on worked . Not sure about the green monster coil , had burn marks inside one of the plug wire holes .

I had already ordered a new Pamco + ultimate coil ( I used the coil ) and a few other things and it was delivered before I could cancel . So, I have an extra Pamco that I would like to trade for an electronic advance unit or If anyone near Toronto needs one . ( I am moving next month so I don't want to get involved with shipping right now )

An update guys. I received and installed the third pamco to the green coil that measured out to spec as per Pete's instructions. Battery is fully charged and there are 13.5 volts at the red wire going to the Pamco and coil. Tried to start the bike and nothing. No spark. The coil had the plugs always grounded and plugs are clean. I have no idea at this point and it is costing big time plus the down time. I'm Leary of buying another Pamco kit with coil for fear it might not work. Ideas???

Tony, the timing was set 200 miles before this all happened. The bike ran excellent. There is no spark what so ever. Even with poor timing, you would have a spark but the bike would not fire at the proper time. I hope Pete gives a further opinion.

Slide,

I think what blows in EI is the transistor. You can probably find that transistor for $10 or less and solder it to the board. I'm not sure if folks repair the Pamco but it seems simple.

Tom

Sounds like there might be a wiring issue. If your battery is good, the Pamco is good, and the coil is good, then the only thing left is wiring. Check every connection. Then, check every single section of every wire for continuity. Check each one for continuity to ground as well.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

FR

Sounds like there might be a wiring issue. If your battery is good, the Pamco is good, and the coil is good, then the only thing left is wiring. Check every connection. Then, check every single section of every wire for continuity. Check each one for continuity to ground as well.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

FR
The Pamco ignition is a lot tougher than I thought it would be . I was pretty sure I cooked mine , all that melted wire and stuff . I was /am amazed that it survived even though I screwed up and just kept on putting fuses in after they blew and then put a 30 amp in when I ran out of 20 amps. If I had of stopped and looked at the wiring after the first fuse blew I would have saved my coil as well .

All I had to do was cut off the burnt wire, splice in some new ones and it works like new .

Back