Performance of shorty exhaust

Growl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am building a scramblerized 1981 XS650. I cut the mufflers off of the headers and have supertrapp mini mufflers (which are also spark arrestors) that will slip on. This is simple and looks good... but will it significantly degrade the performance compared to extending the headers by say 8" or 10"? Am especially curious what those who have shorty mufflers on headers that were cut at the old muffler joint have experienced... how is low rpm, mid rpm and high rpm performance?

Posted via Mobile

The stock head pipes are a two pipe set up. Cutting the stock mufflers off and slipping new ones on won't work well. Slipping the new mufflers on the outer pipe will leak.
There are vent holes up near the head. Clamping new mufflers on the outer pipe lets exhaust flow between the pipes and come out these holes.
You need to get an adapter from the parts store that one end fits your muffler and the other end fits on the inner pipe.
There are pics of this adapter on here and showing how to fit it. The pics even show the part number.
As far as performance if you adjust the carbs to compensate for the change in air flow it will run fine.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf has a section on tuning for mods.
Leo

In the old days, straight pipe length was "tuned" by starting with a long pipe and cutting 1" at a time off until the best performing length was found. You may need to do something similar. Stick a 12" or so (maybe even 18") pipe extension in between your headpipes and mufflers then shorten it incrementally until best performance is found.

When I got the bike it had a set 0f 76 stock mufflers and headers. The first thing I did was to use a 3/4 inch pipe and knock the baffle plates out of the mufflers. This basically make them a straight through muffler. This gave a small boost in performance over the entire rpm range. In creased the sound level a bit.
I did some engine work and this increased performance, a new top end to cure the severe oil burning, a bit of head clean up. A year or so later I added a 750 kit. Very nice. Stronger runner plus much less vibes above 4000 rpms over it as a 650.
I then replaced the stock mufflers with the Emgo's. There wasn't much of a performance change over the stock mufflers but the weight reduction was a plus.
I ran the stock head pipes for awhile then tried Mike's 1.5 inch headers. They are a nice header, but they are not bent the same as stock. the top bend is more than stock, this moves the pipe back closer to the engine.
This was a problem. It made the pipe too close and I couldn't use the modded side cover I had to use an external oil filter and oil cooler.
I bought some 1.5 inch pipe bends and built my own headers. I can use my modded cover now. The bigger pipes did improve things a bit but not as much as a more free flowing muffler. My Emgo's came from Niche cycle, the number on the box is 80-84052
I see Mike's has some that look like them but come in black. I might get them. I like the look.
Leo

Back