piston rings

Beean123

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello xs650ers, would someone tell me how to set the piston ring gaps, i understand the rings are to be turned away from each gap, im sure there must be a certain way my book isnt real clear on where to put the gaps, Thank u:shrug:

I put the top 3 rings 120 degree's apart. and the 2 oil control rings 180 degrees apart, but inline with any of the other 3.

I just opposed each 180º. Not sure if that was right, but it's what I would do for regular car engines and it works fine.

The most important thing is not to have the gaps all in or close inline. Spread the gaps around.

Instructions should be printed on the piston ring box. I don't recall exactly but it's something like staggered 120° but none over the piston pin ends. You space the gaps on the 3 pc. oil ring something like 2cm apart.

Make sure that you got correct gap with all rings, ring gap position is irrelevant because rings rotate when engine is running!

Yes, the rings can rotate during use but you should stagger them during install none the less. That's just normal assembly procedure for any engine.

I put gaps on opposite sides but thats just a habit, all pro builders that i know say that it doesent matter how you put gaps.

Back