Plugs fouling and fuel puddles in manifolds. help!!

ckdaly9

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster,

I've built quite a few of these things and never encountered the issue i'm about to describe. I have scoured this site and the internet to find a similar issue with no luck.

So 83 XS650, Mikuni VM34's, Pamco, Hughs PMA. Other than that stock.

Bike was running awesome, but the stock charging system was junk so I installed Hughs PMA kit. After installing the kit, Bike was running great, in time and pulling hard. Then boom. junk. nothing. misfires and stranded.

Turns out the brand new gel battery shorted out (couldn't handle the pma..I dunno..) I didn't suspect that the new battery was the problem, so I checked everything else. Valves, Cam Chain tension, Timing, Compression, Float levels etc.. Installed a new Yusa Battery and fired it off.

Instantly it foulded the plugs. covered in gas and oil:wtf: Fuel is puddling up in the manifolds, so I figured maybe my floats were a bit to high. I re-adjusted those, no change. it doesn't matter where I set the floats, same issues. I know the pamco is a bit off, but I cant time it with the gas/oil covered plugs, and i'm surly sick of blowing money on sparkplugs troubleshooting this thing!

I'm at my wits end. Hopefully some of you dudes can give a fella a hand!

Specs are;
Compression 130-135 even both sides
TDC Set, and in time (except for adjusting pamco unit)
Valves set to manual spec
Cam Chain set to manual spec
Mikuni VM34's
Main; 190
Pilot; 25
Needle; 6F9
Clip is in the 3rd position down (towards the carb body)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!
-chad

Are you getting a decent spark? Could the Pma be overcharging,cooked the battery,damaged the Pamco. Just some thoughts.

So I think ya nailed it Grinder,
. I'm getting Spark, but inconsistent and just plain odd. I think the PMA took out the gel cell battery, and when the rectifier sensed the loss of voltage, it sent some extra voltage through, smoking my pamco. These PMAs put out some serious voltage! Almost 13 volts at ldle and over 14 volts at speed! Needless to say, pamco is off for repair, and a new Yusa battery installed. I'll post results when my parts show.. thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

Just make sure the PMA isn't overcharging before you install the new Pamco to the PMA charging system. Pete has recommended many times before that the Pamco be hooked to a seperate battery, start the bike and check the output of the PMA. If it's over the 14.5-15V mark then you have a problem with the PMA and could damage the new Pamco.

Back