PMA and Electronic Ignition

Wordman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of two XS650s. One is a '75 basket case, and the other a '77.

Long term plans include a complete rebuild and re-phase.

With that in mind, I need a charging system and an ignition system. I plan on going with the Hugh's PMA, unless there is something better out there.

But the ignition system has me puzzled. It seems Pamco is no longer with us. Any recommendations? I've done a bit of searching, but can't find anything definitive. Then again, I might just be inept at searching!

In my humble opinion the PMA is a downgrade. E-ignition is a upgrade. Pete retired Boyer is very good. I would not go with Mike's.

In my humble opinion the PMA is a downgrade. E-ignition is a upgrade. Pete retired Boer is very good.

I kinda agree on the PMA, but they're a lot more reliable. Does anyone make an electronic voltage regulator for the factory alternator? I'm more interested in reliability than anything else. I'll probably go LED lighting.

Does anyone make an electronic voltage regulator for the factory alternator?.
Do some due diligence Search regulators and you will find what you want to know.

From what I have researched all the PMA's are Chinese. The Banshee swap is old Japaneses parts. No better than what you have.

True, but there is a world of difference between cheap Chinese and made to proper specs Chinese.
True.
From the posts here a lot of people have problems with the PMA stuff.

Go ahead and buy what you want. I've noticed that when people post they want a PMA they buy one. Let us know what you buy and how it does for you. If you find a good supplier we could all learn something.

Go ahead and buy what you want. I've noticed that when people post they want a PMA they buy one. Let us know what you buy and how it does for you. If you find a good supplier we could all learn something.

I was thinking of doing the Banshee swap with a PODtronics regulator/rectifier (basically the system I have on my old Bonneville), but I'll try the VR-115 and a rectifier bridge first. If it works reliably, it is a better system.

I was thinking of doing the Banshee swap with a PODtronics regulator/rectifier (basically the system I have on my old Bonneville), but I'll try the VR-115 and a rectifier bridge first. If it works reliably, it is a better system.
You can also get the original rotors rewound here. :rolleyes:

If your changing your charging system due to problems, ALL the charging system components, (regulator and the rectifier and battery, wiring and connectors and ignition switch), have to be diagnosed cleaned and fixed, (if needed), and running to their optimum before even thinking about a Buying Jims rewind.........or your just going to burn it out............

If your changing your charging system due to problems, ALL the charging system components, (regulator and the rectifier and battery, wiring and connectors and ignition switch), have to be diagnosed cleaned and fixed, (if needed), and running to their optimum before even thinking about a Buying Jims rewind.........or your just going to burn it out............

No worries, I don't plan on going through the whole system. I don't actually know if I have charging problems. I suspect I do because the battery died on the previous owner on the way to show me the bike (he stopped to get fuel and it was dead when he tried to restart it). Unfortunately, he then installed the new battery (he bought it at the Oreilly's across the street from the gas station) backwards and roasted some stuff.

First I have to figure out why it won't start, then I'll go through the charging system. I was asking Jim about cost and how to order just so I'd know in advance if I need a rewound rotor.

You don't plan on doing it.................you don't know..................you suspect it is.............Because............

This is a response to a suggestion...........Maybe, stop and listen to what is said, take it on board, do some research or ask some questions relating to an answer.........just might learn something that will help, and be able to work things out or diagnose the issue.........

You don't plan on doing it.................you don't know..................you suspect it is.............Because............

This is a response to a suggestion...........Maybe, stop and listen to what is said, take it on board, do some research or ask some questions relating to an answer.........just might learn something that will help, and be able to work things out or diagnose the issue.........

Trust me, this ain't my first rodeo. It will all be diagnosed properly. Nonetheless I will be rebuilding the charging system. It's an old bike. I like things, even old things, to be reliable.

Back