Pondering

A time of Trust and Innocence for those who lived in that era?

When I was a kid, Leave it to Beaver was on TV. I totally related to that show. He was just this average , goofy kid, hanging out with his best friend, playing baseball in a neighborhood field, and riding bikes. It was all just so normal and real. I could’ve been him. It really was an innocent time.
IMG_6984.jpeg

There were a lot of cowboy type shows and movies back in the 50s and 60s now you hardly ever see them. Same with sitcoms like Leave it to Beaver, Father knows Best, My Three Sons, Batchelor Father, I Dream Of Jeanie, Bewitched, The Munster's, Car 54, Robin Hood, with Richard Green, Ivanhoe with Roger Moore. We were very spoilt for choice back then!

There were a lot of cowboy type shows and movies back in the 50s and 60s now you hardly ever see them. Same with sitcoms like Leave it to Beaver, Father knows Best, My Three Sons, Batchelor Father. Mind you watching them now is a bit of a chore: Bad acting, silly storylines, incredibly clean cowbows facing off in the middle of the streets able to shoot holes dead centre in a coin.
Robin Hood, with Richard Green, Ivanhoe with Roger Moore. We were very spoilt for choice back then.
But no one considered it violence and was offended that I know of. And then Ozzie and Harriet and Father Knows Best. How all this mixes in to the shaping of minds from that generation to our present youth, who can say? I don't see the similarities.

Most, if not all, of the shows TH listed and including the ones shown in the UK did contain implied violence. The weapons used in the cowboy series programs and things like The Professionals sounded real; but you rarely saw blood and guts. Today most shows of the kind want to have a shock element and realism; blood and guts everywhere. Most of the kids PlayStation gaming is 'shoot-em up' stuff with death and destruction at the core.
No wonder kids today think violence and rape / sexual deviancy is 'normal'.
:hijack:?????

But no one considered it violence and was offended that I know of. And then Ozzie and Harriet and Father Knows Best. How all this mixes in to the shaping of minds from that generation to our present youth, who can say? I don't see the similarities.

In the States maybe. Over here in NZ, (Xpat kiwi), we had all those westerns from the US. We also tendered to run Pommie programs more, especially comedies. Violence in Dramas revolved around a stabbing, baseball bat or fist fight, and in the rare instance a shooting it was just one shot. The use of a gun where one bullet was fired in that episode from a TV series from the UK there would be several guns and a barrage of flying bullets from a US TV episode. The cultural difference was chalk and cheese

In the States maybe. Over here in NZ, (Xpat kiwi), we had all those westerns from the US. We also tendered to run Pommie programs more, especially comedies. Violence in Dramas revolved around a stabbing, baseball bat or fist fight, and in the rare instance a shooting it was just one shot. The use of a gun where one bullet was fired in that episode from a TV series from the UK there would be several guns and a barrage of flying bullets from a US TV episode. The cultural difference was chalk and cheese
Here in the States there was a popularized version of the FBI called The Untouchables that became very popular as Hollywood hoped to make the gangsters look bad. I am sure J. Edgar Hoover was all for it. He didn't like bad publicity after the turbulent 30's and stormy 40's. This was before my time. I came up with legends like 'It Takes a Thief' starring Robert Wagner, and 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E' starring Robert Vaugn and David McCallum.
"The cultural difference was chalk and cheese" is a new one on me.

Elliot Ness was the main character in The Untouchables, watched it every Friday night. Elliot Ness was played by Robert. stack, brother of James Arness, James Arness played Matt Dillon in the show that ran forever and then some - Gunsmoke.

Elliot Ness was a real life character, Matt Dillon wasn't. But Dodge City was/is a real place. Some of those old Wild West towns are now bypassed by freeways and such so are only tourist traps now.

We visited the US back in the mid 90s, hired a car and did a loop from LA to Las Vegas via Bakerfield (a lot of the old western movies were filmed around Bakerfield), down through Flagstaff, Phoenix then onto San Diego via,Tucson (or Tuckson as my wife calls it) Nogales, over the border to Tijuana, back to LA then we flew to San Francisco. On the flight back we stayed in Hawaii for a couple of weeks. Absolutely loved clam chowder we got in San Francisco's wharf district, served in a sourdough bun, yum, yum, yum. Can't get it anywhere in Oz. I wanted to sidetrack to Yuma, but we never had the time.

Driving along a main road out in the middle of nowhere, desert either side of the road, crested a hill and there before us was a huge factory outlet, nothing else around for miles. Went in, had lunch and I went into a men's store, I bought a blue sports coat, still have it somewhere.

We went to Tijuana only by accident: In San Diego, we saw these revolving gates with lots of people using them so thought there must be something interesting over the other side, right we were - Mexico. Walked back over the border to the US again without even being checked, no wonder you guys have illegal immigrant problems. Mind you, the freckles and red hair probably tipped them off I wasn't of Mexican origin.

When in LA I saw an interesting shop on the other side of the road, so we crossed over. Walking along the footpath I saw a group of African Americans together rhubarbing, one of their kids, about 7 years old, saw us coming and stood in the middle of the path, legs spread, arms folded and gave us a filthy look. Oops, wrong side of town apparently, so we crossed back over the street, very quickly.

We pulled into a service station one day, while filling up an African American guy came over and wanted to clean the windscreen for a buck 'doesn't need it' says I. But he kept on, eventually he tried a bit of flattery saying 'you look like someone famous'. 'Nope' says I. But he kept on, so eventually this red headed, freckled caucasian guy answered 'all right you got me, a lot of people say I'm a dead ringer for Bill Cosby'. That did the trick, he wandered off shaking and scratching his head 'you don't look nuthin like Bill Cosby man'.

We only strayed to the left side of the road once, some guy blocking our way waved his finger at us, so we drifted back to the wrong side of the road again.

Just pondering over past jollies!

Last edited:
Tucson (or Tuckson as my wife calls it)
I visited LA in 1982. I stayed in the San Fernando Valley along Van Nuys Blvd. I had arrived and looking for work, journeyed down the street stopping into places of business. I mentioned the name of the Blvd. as 'Van News' continually until a polite local corrected me, saying "It is pronounced Van Eyes". There are some pretty names in that region, Sepulveda for another. It took some time for me to figure how to pronounce it.

Most, if not all, of the shows TH listed and including the ones shown in the UK did contain implied violence. The weapons used in the cowboy series programs and things like The Professionals sounded real; but you rarely saw blood and guts. Today most shows of the kind want to have a shock element and realism; blood and guts everywhere. Most of the kids PlayStation gaming is 'shoot-em up' stuff with death and destruction at the core.
No wonder kids today think violence and rape / sexual deviancy is 'normal'.
:hijack:?????

Oh, yes the professionals. Brody and Doyle and that RS2000. Huge hit in NZ

Back