Powder coating wheels...process?

nh-jk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to powder coat my laced xs rims. If I take them off, remove the tires then bring them to the powder coater, whats left to be done?

Does he have to take the rim and spokes apart or can he toss them in the oven as one piece. I would like the whole rim, spokes and drum to be powder coated all the same color. Im just worried that if someone takes the rims apart it wont get put back together right... or true.

thanks

Anyone with first hand experience... or what it ended up costing$$$.

I know prices vary from place to place but a general ideal would help. Im in NH.

Hey NH---You need to pull the bearings, the rubber/plastic seals will melt, down here the powder coaters will media blast and coat two wheels for $200---NH may be cheaper---tim

Thanks Timbeck,

$200. with the beadblast sounds resonable. Anyone know any powder coaters in the area, MA or NH.

TB Applied Finishes-Concord-----Google is your friend---tim

I used to do wheels for 35-50 a wheel. Sandblasted amd powdercoated. Need to remove everything, bearings, stem, seals. Sandblast, chemical steam blast, pre heat, spray, cook for 20 min at 400... Just like baking cookies.

I do a lot of wheels, all types. You can do them with the spokes in but it will last longer and look better if you take it apart. If not when you do have to make an adjustment to your spokes you will propably bust some of it loose since it's all coated in one all encapsalating shell. And if you tke them apart you can mix colors or textures. Check out my website www.r3machineworks.com

Attachments

• Spokes.jpg
    Spokes.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 140
  • XSW_5.jpg
    XSW_5.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 139
  • XSW_2.jpg
    XSW_2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 152
You can use high temp tape and mask the spokes too. I used to mask the spoke nuts and spokes, spray the wheel, then pull the mask off the spokes and mask the wheel, and spray the spokes cold, then peel the mask off the wheel and carefully clean the sticky residue off the wheel. Did a few res wheels with white spokes and raw spokenuts. Also did a few black wheels with yellow spokes.

Yes and the latest trick is to use the firearms coatings on the spoke tips. Holds up to a spoke wrench a lot better.

I have had three differents sets of wheels powder coated. I brought my rusty mess of wheels to the powder coater and had them media blasted and coated for $150 a pair. On all three sets, I left the spokes and hub on and simply had them blasted and coated as one. Looks great but you cannot true the wheels after you do this. i would make sure they are true beforehand and tell the powder coater to go easy on the heat so it doesn't warp and become out of true. You need to remove bearings and seals of course prior to coating.

IMHO, the only right way to do it is to remove(cut)the spokes. Anodize or paint the hub because all of the powder coating has to be removed from the spoke head holes in order for them to seat properly. I just paid 30 bucks for powder on my wheel, 30 bucks for an anodized hub. Bought S/S spoke set from MikesXS last year on sale (low quality)

Back