Problem with boggin at low rpms, any ideas?

lateral4

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My 77 xs is bogging, really bad up until about 2200 rpms, I roll on the throttle and it loses power, then once it reaches about 2300 rpms it revs up really fast. It's fine all the way through the power band from there. I am also having an issue with the rpms staying revved while I'm changing gears. Does anyone have any similar problems that they got fixed or does anyone have any recommendations? The carbs were rebuilt recently, from what the owner that had the bike before I did said. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've read stumbling off the idle is a symptom of carbs not synch'ed. Have you checked them? Keeping the revs up during shifting might be a matter of technique. I love the sound of the shifting and the motor in this video:

If your advance rod is stuck in the full advance position, the bike will run bad at low RPMs and the the revs will hang when you let off the throttle.

Where is the advance rod located and how do I free it up? I'm a newbie and have only had the bike for 2 weeks.

As far as synching the carbs goes, I have one lever that moves both carbs at the same time. I can see a set screw between the two, but I can't reach it. Any suggestions?

Advance is on the right side of the engine under the little cover above the spark plug.

To get to the sync screw, remove the gas tank and run it with and auxiliary tank.

Also, don't believe anything the previous owner said. I'd pull the carbs and check the pilot jets if the advance checks out.

Back