ps3 drive fix

bergoff

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm just curious if any of you guys have fixed a ps3 not reading disks. I bought a 1st gen last year from a friend and it has worked great. All of the sudden it stopped reading disks. It wont even try to spin the disk. I have read that its a laser and there are a few different ones. I haven't torn it open yet. Gamestop wants 125-150 to fix it but I'm cheap and like to learn. Thanks

I believe ithey overheat and stop working. get the better fan/cooling system.

google it first, theres lots of videos on youtube on how to fix ps3's without taking them apart. I had the same problem last year once and it only needed to be reset from the hidden menu.

Yeah I just went through this problem exactly recently with my 1st gen 60gb. I just bit the bullet and went with a local game shop. Paid them $150 total which included parts and labor, plus got a 90 day warranty with it. Good thing to because it crapped out again a week later, and they fixed it again for free and restarted the warranty over. This is also the reason I went with a local store versus a internet fix-it company. There are a couple of the internet fix-it companies for PS3's out there, but most of them had horrible reviews.

Back