Question about California

vr3506

vr3506
Reaction score
Hi,

Last saturday I bought a XS1 engine housing and I got a XS1 frame for free

Both parts come from California originally
The frame has a tag with "assigned identification number" DMV28/750A and a control number This is popped to the frame
The engine also has a tag (sticker) also with (another) assigned ID number and control number. (California)

Neither frame or engine have a frame or an engine number (!?)

Can someone please tell me something about this? Why are there no numbers?

kind regards,
Jan

California keeps track of both the Vin (frame) and engine numbers on the Title. If you crack a case and have to get a replacement a subsequent owner will (should) go to CHP to get an inspection and a engine number assigned (assuming the case came with no factory stamp). They then assign the number to you and attach a tag. Same deal for the frame on replacements, or if the Vin gets disfigured and is unreadable. Big hassel as you have to take in your receipts etc. to prove its not stolen. I bought one xs that had one letter on the VIN (neck stamping) scraped and the DMV inspector would not verify the VIN.. made me go to CHP an get a tag assigned. I also replaced a case on a Triumph but rather than go the CHP route, I just stamped the numbers of the case I was replacing in it.

If your frame has a california number assigned and it matches the title, then you will have no problems as they won't require an inspection unless it's been off the books (unregistered) for too long. If you do need an inspection my advice would be to scrape that sticker off the case and stamp the numbers of the engine that are on the title. Else you'll be going to the CHP and having them examine everything including your receipts...

You have no factory numbers because these were replacement parts.

Oh, I see on further inspection you are not in CA... good luck with whatever the process is there.....

-=PO

Ok thanXS for the information, it's clear to me.

It's special to have an engine and a frame without numbers:wink2:

Well most likely it was stolen at some point but as long as you have a title and can get registered no worries. If you want to "restore" and get something like the original numbers stamped you may be descending into paperwork hell. But that's between you and the local gummermint.

Back