Question about my homemade pegs.. too low?

Luke4554

"PureBred Fabrications"
Reaction score
Question..

I havent gotten a second to try and tilt my bike side to side or do any of the geometry to see if my pegs are going to be scraping when im banking into a turn. I made a set of homemade pegs that are 6" off the ground and stick out 6" from the frame. Below is a picture of my pegs mounted up. Obviously nothing is final .. but i cant tell if theyre going to cause a problem or not .. and id hate to find out the hard way.

34522_423165037840_531142840_4427212_7602971_n.jpg

37662_423240197840_531142840_4429359_2944937_n.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think. Im sure several people have mounted their pegs in this spot so i cant imagine its the first time this has posed a question.

Luke :bike:

Look about the same as mine. Only problem is my foot will hit the ground on a turn if it's under the shift lever. Mine are 8" from the frame.

Attachments

• bikes 002.jpg
    bikes 002.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 134
i've been wondering the same mine are even lower about 5" off the ground. i've seen them mounted low on a few bikes...this pic was just a rough fitting but considering moving them up an inch or 2. hopefully it uploads never uploaded a pic in a thread before

Luke, yours would be fine if they were hinged.
make sure they are clear of lean angle or hinge them so they wont grab and pole vault your bike.
I saw this happen couple weeks ago that sent the hard tailed honda chop in the ditch at 40+ mph

...and even if it didn't make you crash it might bend or break your pegs (which look good, BTW) so better to make them flex before you catch them. Nice work, good luck.

Luke, yours would be fine if they were hinged.
make sure they are clear of lean angle or hinge them so they wont grab and pole vault your bike.
I saw this happen couple weeks ago that sent the hard tailed honda chop in the ditch at 40+ mph

I agree with this. My BMW R100 has rigid pegs and I had the bike come right out from under me a week ago when I leaned a little too far going into a turn. Fortunately, I was doing only about 10-15 mph when it happened, so the damage was minimal. Still pissed me off, though. Found myself wishing afterward that the pegs were hinged like on my XS.

Rockfury; nice looking work. On your bike it looks like the first solid thing to hit will be the bottom of your brake linkage. An effect of that might be a rather sudden application of your rear brake. Just saying..........

well crapola..

this is the second set of pegs ive made in the last two days .. i may just make new brackets that come up and wrap around the case a little higher, cut the plate off and reuse the peg itself. damn it now im mad at myself for not thinking about this yesterday.

i measured again .. looks as though theyre actually like 6.5" up and 6.5" out from the outer edge of the frame. Im going to tilt the bike on its side when its off the bench to see how far it would have to go to actually scrap because it does look like its a pretty good distance and i wont be riding this one that aggressively.

scraping in a corner would suck. but also think about if those wheels come out from under you in a turn. wet road, oil etc. it happens. sliding might not be a bad crash, but with rigid pegs they're going to dig in hard and flip you and the bike over. if that bike lands on you you're gonna be fucked up...

friend of mine was on his triumph bonneville last week, dry weather, in a corner only doing 30mph and the wheels lost it.. maybe from oil on the road.

Remember too when measuring clearance, you will lose a couple inches of height due to your weight and suspension compression when cornering.

Back