Question about titling a bike without a title.

deadindian

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1974 xs650 with a notarized bill of sale only in Georgia. Does anyone have experience with registering a non-titled bike in Tennessee or anywhere. I'm looking at Certification of Ownership form and taking it to county clerk to get it registered. Any help?

I know here in Georgia if all you have is the bill of sale and it's older than 25 years you have to have a policefellow come and run a vin check to see if it's stolen and then fill out a form for you. I would guess that Tennessee would have similar laws.

I use to buy up a lot of untitled frames years ago but up here in the NJ area its almost impossible to get a title for a bike from the DMV. I did one two years ago and still have not got the title and tried everything they asked and every once in a while I get a form from the DMV asking for the bike inspection paper from DMV. WELL there is NO INSPECTION ON BIKES IN NJ ANYMORE. I even went to DMV INSPECTION STATION and they said they have no way to do it or no paper work on BIKES. I went to the main place in TRENTON and even went to a DMV that someone said they got there
s done at and NO GOOD. So I don't buy untitled bikes only for parts. There are still a couple companies out there that get titles from VERMONT DMV and you pay $150.00 for there service. I use to use for 20 yrs UTS but it changed hands and the guy just took your money and I lost close to $1200.00 four yrs ago with them. What I found out was they had a issue with the DMV they were using and all went bust.
Now here is what the DMV is going to tell you a bike over 25 yrs old can not be found on TODAYS DMV information. All bikes and cars over 20 yrs were on MICR FICH and never transferred over. A bike that was stolen in Georgia will not come up stolen anywhere no info. Bikes with 9 digit numbers are in the wind. Bikes with 17 digit numbers may be on new system and may come up stolen if reported around 2000.
NJ is so screwed up that if you buy a bike with a title and the title is incorrect at any point you have to get the original owner on title to get duplicate . I have a frame and good title that name was scribbled over and now title is VOID.
Before you invest any money in what you bought go to DMV with etching of VIN NUMBERS and see what they require. MSO bikes frames are also getting tough to do up here so I only deal with TITLED BIKES. I am going to try a new company that does the same as ITS did and see how long it takes. My time and labor is worth much more now to deal with the IDIOTS at DMV that don't even know there own rules. Years ago GEORGIA was a state that you could get paperwork easy threw a company named BROADWAY TITLE. Now even them won't deal with some states.
GOOD LUCK

Contact your State's DMV. Some states it's possible other it's not. Me, no title means a pile of parts.
You can keep that 74 and find another bike that has a title and swap your good parts to the titled frame.
You can never have to many extra parts.
Leo

Got everything taken care of, got my tag and registration today! No issues, title will be here in two or three weeks. Thanks!

Back