Question for the masses on original restoration

Jessezm

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm in the midst of restoring a '72 XS-2, and I keep having these impulses to make changes/upgrades, but am torn between that and having an "all original" bike. I'm curious what you all think. Really the only thing that is not stock are bronze swing arm bushings. But the headers and mufflers are a replica set (rather than rechromed originals).

Last time I did a 650, it got Shell Thuett heads, a 750 kit, hot cam, HD clutch, Minton mods to the front forks, new shocks, Boyer iggy, Mikuni roundslides, etc etc.

But my goal with this one is to make it as close to original as possible. I guess my question is about outside perception - for example, if I bike has "replica" parts like the exhaust system (even if it looks the exact same), is that a major ding? Then what if it has hagon shocks and racetech springs or other such "performance" mods? What about E-ignition? What are the mods that increase the value of an original '72, and what are those that decrease it?

I'm not dogmatic about these things, I'm just curious what people think and what I might expect to hear about it if I go to sell it someday.

Thanks!

A collector would want a museum piece, all original.
An enthusiast wouldn't mind hidden upgrades.
A novice is clueless.
I had to swap a bad engine out and was concerned about matching frame and engine numbers if I was to sell. My friend said to put the old engine in a corner and if somebody was that concerned about numbers matching then to point to it and say "There it is!"
So, do what you want and save all the old pieces.........

Build what makes you happy, no one gets rich fixing and selling XS650's
i have two 79's one a resto mod that constantly gets tinkered with, one as stock as possible considering I can't stand yellowed clear coat and it needed fresh paint, I'm thinking of a pamco to make it run a touch smoother.
slimy crud 2017.jpg

Gary is right. Build what you want. If a completed bike will return your hard costs, Its a win. Remember this is a hobby. Nobody ever made money on a bass boat, golf clubs or a bowling ball either. Sad fact is, If it's a hobby, it will cost you money

My 71 has perfect exhaust and good paint. Looks all original with no cosmetic cheap repops. Sure, a screw or a bolt. Or washer dosnt match here and there.
I also switched out the head bearings for tapered. The swing arm is still good. M
Also installed a vr-115.
So, to me, if your going to ride it, make it safe. And dependable. But do save old original parts.

Another reason to save (all) original parts is your replacement parts can sometimes end up being worse!

Haha, good advice, all! I would NEVER expect to break even on bringing all these bikes back to life--I definitely approach it like a hobby. Oh, and i did install tapered head bearings, forgot to mention that. But yeah, I was really thinking in terms of the electrical and other upgrades. Of course it would be easy to pull off the old, bolt on the new, and save the stock stuff if it's important to the next owner.

The bike does have matching numbers and an original, unpainted tank in MINT condition (literally looks like it's never had gas in it!).

I'm in the " build it for yourself camp" .
I prefer original appearance with sensible upgrades as necessary to charging system and ignition and I have no problem with reproduction parts. Only showbikes have to worry about being 100% original and correct.
Enjoy your bike and we need pictures man!

Talking about originals vs. repops, I hope that Veramin carpet those bikes are sitting on is a machine woven reproduction and not the real thing!

Ummmm... I inherited that from my folks, and I am pretty sure it's real... But come on, it's a Honda and a Yamaha. You think I'd park a Harley or a Triumph there? no way. ;)

Ummmm... I inherited that from my folks, and I am pretty sure it's real... But come on, it's a Honda and a Yamaha. You think I'd park a Harley or a Triumph there? no way. ;)
Hi Jessezm,
the only bike that can't leak oil (or fork lube or chain goop or bearing grease or battery acid) is a bike that's never those fluids inside it.
Best you get that carpet evaluated, those moderately nice bikes may be about to de-value a costly antique.

Nice bike man! But hey these guys are right.
I know nothing of Persian rugs so I looked into it a little. Could be worth $500 or look at a couple I found for sale online,
This one is $50,000
IMG_4893.JPG And this one is selling for
$99,000
IMG_4894.JPG
Who knew?

Last edited:
Okay I'm pretty sure it can't be one of those, that's insane! Plus my mom has seen the bike where it lives and she would have ripped me a new one I think! Getting a bit off topic here but below is the label on the rug, if anyone has any insight!

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 162
Denizeri was just the American retailer. I looked them up, they are out of business.
However I also looked, and the Atlanta area has like a dozen oriental rug retailers. If I were you just for fun. I'd take a few detailed photos and maybe find out what you have there.

Given the dealer label, it's either an Iranian (Persian) carpet woven in the village of Veramin or a Pakistani hand woven replica. If genuine and in good condition (can't tell much from a photo) it would be worth considerably more than $500, but it wouldn't fetch the price of an antique Nain, for example. Given the size, if in good condition and genuine, I'd guess at a low 5-figure value. If it's Pakistani, likely not much more than a grand. Anyway it's worth having the piece examined and appraised; to cover collectibles for full value, your homeowners policy needs to have a rider added, and an appraisal is required to get it.

Okay I'm pretty sure it can't be one of those, that's insane! Plus my mom has seen the bike where it lives and she would have ripped me a new one I think! Getting a bit off topic here but below is the label on the rug, if anyone has any insight!

Hi Jessezm,
while this list ain't the Antiques Roadshow I reckon that If that rug is better quality than a broadloom offcut from Ernie's End of the Roll Bargain Center it's worth far too much to build bikes on it.

Hi Jessezm,
while this list ain't the Antiques Roadshow I reckon that If that rug is better quality than a broadloom offcut from Ernie's End of the Roll Bargain Center it's worth far too much to build bikes on it.

Frank Cowan, in Cincinnati, is one of the appraisers on Antiques Roadshow. Here are some of the Persian rugs that have sold through his auction house:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/search?do_search=1&search=display&keyword=persian&category_id[]=10802&sort_by=item_low_estimate-desc

Regarding the bike- if you want to ride it, make it as safe, reliable, and fun as possible. It is your bike (as is the rug), do what you want with it.

Last edited:
Back