R1 front caliper mod...

Motocue

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I saw the mod on the GSXR frontend was the R1 mono block cal.... Got one off eBay and gave it a rebuild. Had to mill .070 off the bottom of the bolt mount base to get the pads to fit all the way on the disc. Let me say she was a bitch to bleed took forever. It feels better , not going to throw me over the bars but it's a nice strong stop.

image.jpg

That's a great looking front end on your bike:thumbsup:. High quality braking is the number one safety item on any bike.

Its looks expensive.......................care to give us a total cost for the forks and brakes, so we can all be shocked:)

U will be shocked the other way it was not bad . 350 complete frontend eBay . Seal set 25.00 , all balls tappered bearings like 60 . Wheel bearings 25.00 moto pro tapper bars 100.00 . R1 caliper with pads and seals 120.00 I did all the machining to fit the front wheel and disc spacer. I also had to grind a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the frame tube as it hung down to low not letting the stem make it all the way up .

image.jpg

some fork oil and the front rotor to boot. Bike is vary tight and handles like a dream with this front end.
image.jpg

Front end is off an 04-06 GXSR has a 30mm offset and a 25mm axel. R1 caliper is 04/05 that's the year that fits this front end. U also can not exceed 25mm on the axel or u will not find bearings to fit .xs yam has a fucked up 47mm OD wheel bearing hard to convert . There. Is a 25x47x12 and that works. Also had to make a spacer tube between the two wheel bearing in the front wheel. U will need good access to a machine shop. I own one so I'm in luck.
image.jpg

Kenda and the guy at the bike shop put it on backwards . Lol .. Did not see it for weeks later . Need to get back over there and have it reversed .

Back