Rear Brake Light Won't Illuminate

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found my first (and hopefully only) electrical problem. When I squeeze the front brake handle the brake light illuminates as it should. When I step on the rear brake the light does NOT get brighter as I expected it to. Is there a switch or particular wire I should be looking for to get the light to brighten when it hit the rear brake?

Thanks.

The rear brake switch is adjustable, it may just need adjustment. It screws in and out of the plastic nut that holds it in the frame.

That switch is located just behind where the brake pedal pivot goes through the frame. Location varies slightly if drum or disk brake. It connects to the brake pivot by a thin wire/spring. It has two wires each about 1 foot long that plug into the main wire harness.

Found it. Thanks Gary. Looks like I'll have to replace it. It's all banged up and doesn't seem to be adjusting correctly. Can't get it to do anything actually.

If you unhook the wires From the harness to the switch and jump them does the light the brake light? This will tell you the wires in the harness are good.

If you unhook the wires From the harness to the switch and jump them does the light the brake light? This will tell you the wires in the harness are good.

Just tried it. Yep, the light illuminates when I jump the contacts. Seems that the plunger isn't sliding in and out as it should. gggGary has one for me so I'll send him some $$ for it. Looks like I'll need to remove the right side foot peg and the shield right after it to access the brake switch assembly. Shouldn't be too tough of a fix.

Thanks guys!

Back